Dr. Charles
Dr. Charles, Doctor
Experience:  Internal medicine specialist
6554558

I am 84 years old and I have sore knees, my doctor diagnosed

I am 84 years old and I have sore knees, my doctor diagnosed it as osteo arthritis. What can i do to ease the pain.
Hello
Welcome to the Just Answer Website.The main treatment is nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS). These are anti-inflammatory drugs that can also relieve soreness,pain and stiffness.Low dose corticosteroids like prednisolone may be required.Also medications like Glucosamine and Chondroitin may be prescribed.
The goal of treatment is relief of discomfort and stiffness.Physical activity is important to maintain bone and muscle strength.Exercise can reduce the pain and improve your overall sense of well-being. Eat healthy & nurtrious.Take nutrious diet containing good amount of iron,calcium,magnesium,multivitamins. Bone building supplements such as vitamin D & calcium should be taken.Take 1200 mg of calcium & 800IU of vitamin D daily.If you are are overweight,then reduce your weight.
Physical therapy,oil massage & steam therapy may help.For type of exercise,read here:
http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/osteoarthritis/OSA_treatment.html
So I advice you to make an appointment with your ortho doctor.Till than take tab. Ibuprofen 400 mg thrice a day. It will provide you great relief & is availaible as OTC without prescription.Please feel free to ask if you have any other question.
Regards-
Dr.Charles
Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.

Hello

Welcome to the Just Answer Website.

The main treatment is nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDS). These are anti-inflammatory drugs that can also relieve soreness,pain and stiffness.Low dose corticosteroids like prednisolone may be required.Also medications like Glucosamine and Chondroitin may be prescribed. The goal of treatment is relief of discomfort and stiffness.Physical activity is important to maintain bone and muscle strength.Exercise can reduce the pain and improve your overall sense of well-being.

Eat healthy & nurtrious.Take nutrious diet containing good amount of iron,calcium, magnesium,multivitamins. Bone building supplements such as vitamin D & calcium should be taken.Take 1200 mg of calcium & 800IU of vitamin D daily.If you are are overweight,then reduce your weight. Physical therapy,oil massage & steam therapy may help.For type of exercise,read here:

Regards-

Dr.Charles

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Can ibuprophen be taken with thyroid conditions or diabetes or high blood pressure or engina
As you already have various medical conditions, I advice you to take tab. Acetaminophen instead of Ibuprofen. Acetaminophen is safe to take in all these conditions & their medications & is also available as OTC without the prescription of your doctor. Regards-
Dr.Charles
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not paying 30 dollars to be told to take tylenol
Medications like Glucosamine and Chondroitin are avaiaible only by prescription & not as OTC.
Bone building supplements such as vitamin D & calcium should be taken.Take 1200 mg of calcium & 800IU of vitamin D daily.They are available as OTC. Along with this apply ointment containg diclofenac sodium. Massage the area a few minutes every hour. This is supposed decrease swelling and increase blood flow.Both are available as OTC. or type of exercise,read here:
http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/osteoarthritis/OSA_treatment.htmlRegards- Dr.Charles Please click green ACCEPT BUTTON so I can be paid for assisting you. BONUS and Positive Feedback are always greatly appreciated.