Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have a pain in my left shoulder when i breath in only?

Customer Question
What could that be?...
I have a pain in my left shoulder when i breath in only? What could that be? I have had an extensive heart workup about 1.5 years ago, and a EKG about 3 months ago.........what could htis be?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Health
12/21/2010
Health Professional: Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant replied 7 years ago
Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant

Hello and thank you for your question.

Pain which is associated with breathing in, as you described, is most likely musculoskeletal. It either comes from a pulled or inflamed muscle and is not related to your heart.

It is possible that you slept wrong on the shoulder or lifted something heavy that you did not realize at the time and now the muscle is inflamed.

You can use ice pack 3-4x per day for about 10 minutes at a time and take Advil/Aleve to help with pain. Your pain should resolve in 3-4 days, maybe sooner. But I can reassure you that it is not related to your heart.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If you are satisfied with the answer, please click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia

Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
even though the pain feels like its deep and related to my breath? Its just scaring me that it could be something.....i have been short of breath also, but i have severe anxiety and doc says that is it

Yes, based on what you are describing it sounds more related to anxiety then anything else.

Anytime you have pain that is associated with taking a deep breath, turning, pushing on it, it is related to a musculoskeletal source rather then your heart. You should not worry about it because anxiety will make your symptoms worse (shortness of breath).

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

If I answered your questions, please click 'Accept' button so that I may get credit for my work.

Julia

Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant