Dr. Singh
Dr. Singh, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS. General Practitioner, experienced in hospital care and primary care.
10798432

My stool smells like perm solution. It's been this way for

Customer Question

My stool smells like perm solution. It's been this way for over three years or so. No changes in color but just the smell. Is it anything I can do to remedy this problem. I've had a colon test and I had a polup removed but it was okay. I'm 64 year old female. My husband past away almost 4 years ago with cancer.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Singh replied 6 years ago.
Abnormal smell of stools is generally a result of alteration in the normal flora (friendly bacteria) of the intestines. These bacteria help in digestion of our food and during this process, release various gases as byproducts, which give the color and smell to the stools. Also changes in diet can cause change in smell and other characteristics. Other possible causes are liver or gall bladder disease, Irritable bowel syndrome etc.

For now, I would suggest trying Probiotic supplements that contain friendly bacteria. Also you can try adding yogurt to your diet, which might help with your problem. If symptoms persist, you can talk to your doctor to have some blood tests done for liver and kidney function.
Regards.