How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Mark Bornfeld Your Own Question
Mark Bornfeld
Mark Bornfeld, Dentist (DDS)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 6021
Experience:  Clinical instructor, NYU College of Dentistry; 37 years private practice experience in general dentistry, member Academy of General Dentistry, ADA, American Academy of Oral Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Mark Bornfeld is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have develope a severe mouth problem. I have recieved

Customer Question

I have develope a severe mouth problem. I have recieved medication from my family doctor called Mag mouthwash but it is not healing. I belief it is medication related. It only happens as I take medicine for acid reflux.
Condition I had a clear blister grow on the inside of my cheek on the left side. It finely broke but it continue to produce blisters in the mouth along the cheek gum areas. I use the solution as needed but it persist and does not go away. My mouth is sore contiuously.
I won't have any money in my account until next Wed but in the mean time I need answers, Can you help? I'll be more then happy if satisfied to pay you then. Sincerey Fran
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr.Tiwari replied 6 years ago.
Will you please answer some questions-
1.Since when it is there?
2.Do you also have fever?
3.Any dentures?
Please reply.
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, and thank you for putting your trust in me!

Although the medicines that are commonly prescribed for acid reflux do not typically cause blistering in the mouth, your empirical observation that "it only happens (when you) take medicine for acid reflux" is impossible to ignore.

The acid reflux medications-- predominantly the proton pump inhibitors such as omeprazole or lansoprazole, do sometimes cause inflammation in the lining of the mouth. They have also been known to cause dry mouth or even yeast infection. Although blistering is not among the documented side effects, these inflammatory or drying effects may amplify any pre-existing tendency toward blistering from any of the muco-cutaneous conditions (e.g., pemphigoid, erosive lichen planus, lupus, or Crohn's disease) that are common in your demographic group.

The simple answer would be to switch to another type of medication for your acid reflux-- perhaps an H2 antagonist such as famotidine or ranitidine, although these are somewhat less effective at controlling stomach acid.

A more pragmatic approach would be to diagnose any underlying mucous membrane disorder. Magic mouthwash is sometimes helpful in symptomatic relief, but does nothing to address the cause of the symptoms. For this reason, you should consult with an oral pathologist-- preferably at a time when your lesions are active, because they will be easier to diagnose if there is something to see. Your dentist can provide you with a referral, or you may consult the online directory of the American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology.

Hope this helps...
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for your response, however the problem is already over 6 months and I have done all the above except consult a specialist which naturally would be my next step. I only have these on the bottom part of my mouth and on the side of the left check but it continues to progressively increase. I have been suffering from severe acid reflux and nothing else but nexium helps. So thank you for your response but it is not something I did not already know. I was hoping you would have greater revelation.
Expert:  Mark Bornfeld replied 6 years ago.
Diagnosis involves more than inference, and the intent of my response was to point you in the correct direction. In the absence of diagnostic data (e.g., blood lab results or histologic report), it is not possible to infer a diagnosis; after all, there are many different clinical conditions that could potentially present in the manner you describe. Some of these conditions have important implications for your overall health, so I'm a bit uncertain why your primary care doctor chose to provide symptom control before identifying the problem.

In any case, you should consult with an oral pathologist, for this type of specialist is most familiar with the types of disorders that resemble your description.

Good luck!