Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Experience:  MD
23744323

My right hip has pain but not like arthritis. When sitting

My right hip has pain but not like arthritis. When sitting for awhile and then standing there is pain until I start moving/walking. When lying down, I cannot lie on my back and bring the right leg upward (like a frog) because of pain. Then often when I try to bring it down there is a sharp pain in the crotch area and if I turn the leg inward I can feel like the tendon/ligament(?) click and then releases the pain. Now, when I sit and bring my knees up, my right leg is longer than the left side. Any idea what is wrong and what kind of doctor should I see?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr Basu replied 6 years ago.
mysticdoc :

hello

mysticdoc :

thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

how long you have these symptoms?

Customer:

It's been about a year. Started with just discomfort on the hip. But is slowly getting worse.

mysticdoc :

ok

mysticdoc :

have you seen any doctor before or got any Xrays done?

Customer:

No. I volunteered for a research project that did an MRI, etc but it was on the left hip (which I did not know about) so it didn't help. I sent the report to my doctor who confirmed that there is no osteroporosis (sp) and he thought that the hip might be the start of arthritis because of my age. But, I think the pain is different from arthritis because of the symptoms that I earlier mentioned. And no I did not get an x-ray.

mysticdoc :

are you on any medication?

Customer:

no

mysticdoc :

have you ever been on steroid?

Customer:

no

mysticdoc :

ok thank you.

mysticdoc :

based on your symptoms, it is likely that the problem lies inside the hip joint.

mysticdoc :

now there are few possibilities:

mysticdoc :

this can be a occult hip fracture which unfortunately may not show up in normal xrays.

mysticdoc :

the second possibility is osteonecrosis of the femoral head

mysticdoc :

this means destruction of the ball of the thigh bone which may cause this kind of symptoms.

mysticdoc :

advanced osteoarthritis is another possibility which will be easily detected in routine Xrays.

mysticdoc :

you should consider seeing an orthopedic surgeon, and get some hip & pelvis xrays.

Customer:

What is a "occult hip fracture"? and how does this happen? regarding the osteonecrosis of the femoral head... shouldn't this happen on both sides of the hip?

mysticdoc :

no

mysticdoc :

osteonecrosis may not involve both hips

mysticdoc :

occult hip fracture refers to the nondisplaced fractures, that the bones are not displaced.

Customer:

Is there anything that can be done...exercise, diet, etc rather than surgery?

mysticdoc :

hence, although you can bear weight, but experience pain 7 have limited range of motion.

mysticdoc :

yes.

mysticdoc :

but, before doing that, you need xrays.

mysticdoc :

if there is no fracture, but only osteoarthritis.

mysticdoc :

then physical therapy may prove helpful along with joint injections.

mysticdoc :

you can consider taking glucosamine & chondroitin sulfate for joint health.

Customer:

Okay. I guess that answers most of my questions and gives me an idea of what to do.

mysticdoc :

yes, I hope you get well soon

mysticdoc :

I am glad you found my advice useful. Please click ACCEPT if you do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time and effort. Thank you!

Customer:

One more question... do you think a chiropractor could help?

mysticdoc :

in hip problems, physical therapy is more useful.

mysticdoc :

but chiropractor also may help, but Xrays are needed before any chiropractor treats you.

Customer:

Okay. Thanks again! Have a great day!

mysticdoc :

you too.