Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I have been using Vaniqa for about a month, but notice some

breakout which looks to be...
I have been using Vaniqa for about a month, but notice some breakout which looks to be due to ingrown hairs. Also, I had been using Evoclin and Finacia on the chin area as well. Can I continue to use these products and apply them at the same time? Is there another acne product that you'd recommend?
Thank you for any help you can provide!
12/1/2010
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
mysticdoc :

hello

mysticdoc :

thanks for your question.

mysticdoc :

vaniqa can cause ingrown hair related problem as side effect.

mysticdoc :

you can use all these topical creams together without any interactions.

mysticdoc :

finacea & evoclin are good combination for acne.

mysticdoc :

so stay with them for now.

Customer:

Is the ingrown hair situation temporary?

Customer:

How much time do I need to wait while I'm layering on these products?

mysticdoc :

yes, usually it will subside over next 8-10 weeks.

Customer:

Is there an additional acne product I should/can use on my chin?

Customer:

Will the acne improve too?

mysticdoc :

you can try tretinoin 0.05% cream at nightime

mysticdoc :

yes, your acne should improve

mysticdoc :

you can wait 30 minutes between the application of the products.

Customer:

What is a good tretinoin product? Should I use it instead of one of the other products I'm using, or in addition to them?

mysticdoc :

yhow long you are using evoclin & finacea?

Customer:

Do I have to wait 30min? What is the minimum amount of time I have to wait between layers of products?

Customer:

Ibe "

Customer:

Oops! Hit key too early.

mysticdoc :

there is no recommended time for waiting.

Customer:

I've been using them for 2-3 years.

mysticdoc :

but, for better absorption, 30 minutes interval is reasonable.

mysticdoc :

and do you see any improvement?

Customer:

In general, yes. My skin has been pretty clear. However, with the Vaniqa, I'm seeing some ingrown hair and bumps, so when I pluck, it causes an acne-look.

mysticdoc :

ok

mysticdoc :

tretinoin 0.05% cream should be helpful in preventing that

Customer:

What otc products do you/ can you recommend?

mysticdoc :

as such otc product is not effective in removing scars.

mysticdoc :

so i have no specific recommendation on otc products

Customer:

I'm not really worried about scarring - have had acne since I was 14, and have not been left with scars.

Customer:

But are there otc products that have tretinoin .05%?

mysticdoc :

no.

mysticdoc :

this is a prescription product.

Customer:

Ohh..darn. If I get one, would I use it instead of one of my other products?

Customer:

And is there a facial wash that you'd recommend?

mysticdoc :

you may consider benzoyl peroxide facial wash.

mysticdoc :

you can use tretinoin in place of finacea.

Customer:

Ok. So I could still use the Finacea on my cheeks and forehead for the mild rosacea, but use tretinoin on my chin at night?

mysticdoc :

yes, correct

mysticdoc :

tretinoin also helps with rosacea by the way.

mysticdoc :

Please click ACCEPT if you do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time and effort. Thank you!

Customer:

tretinoin is not the ingredient in Accutane, is it?

mysticdoc :

no--they are little different.

mysticdoc :

accutane contains isotretinoin in oral pill form

mysticdoc :

tretinoin is the topical cream.

mysticdoc :

both are vitamin A derivatives

mysticdoc :

the brand names of tretinoin are: Renova, Retin-A.

Customer:

Oh! Sounds good. Thank you very much for your time in answering all of my questions. I really appreciate your expertise! If you have any final recs or thoughts on whether I should have a different facial routine, please let me know! Does anything stand out to you as something that you would handle differently?

Customer:

BTW - are any of the products I'm using helpful for wrinkles?

Customer:

Does a cleanser for that (Oil of Olay for acne/wrinkles) really make a difference?

mysticdoc :

the olay products are much more publicised than their effectiveness.

mysticdoc :

none of them has any effect on wrinkles.

mysticdoc :

but, tretinoin does help with the wrinkles to some extent.

mysticdoc :

best treatment of wrinkles will be botox or hyaluronic acid dermal filler injections.

mysticdoc :

I am glad you found my advice useful. Please click ACCEPT if you do not have any further question, so that I get rewarded for my time and effort. Thank you!

Customer:

You've been great. Thanks again! Happy Holidays!

mysticdoc :

welcome. Happy Holidays to you too

Customer:

Just quickly (sorry) - is Finacea effective at all with wrinkles?

mysticdoc :

no it is not.

mysticdoc :

it is a good medication for acne & rosacea.

Customer:

Wow. Ok! Thanks VERY much! Have a great day.

mysticdoc :

you too.

Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist
Dr Basu
Dr Basu
Dr Basu, Experienced Specialist