Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Experience:  U.S. Licensed Physician, general surgery and internal medicine experience
14307416

My 87 year old mother was released from the hospital Sunday

My 87 year old mother was released from the hospital Sunday 11/28 following admission for pneumonia. She was also found to be anemic, has thyroid problem, high blood pressure and takes coumiden because of a history with blood clots. Prior to her discharge from the hospital her hands swelled and she was put on a water pill. Now she urinates constantly but her feet and ankles have become very swollen. What's happening here?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Brims replied 6 years ago.
Dr B :

Hello, welcome to Justanswer, I will try to assist you with your medical question, and any medical information you seek

Dr B :

When did the swelling start?

Customer:

about 4 - 5 hours ago, I think.

Dr B :

is it edema?Any redness or pain?

Customer:

Hold on while I go upstairs to check.

Dr B :

ok

Customer:

she says her feet have be getting more swollen since this morning. no pain or redness.

Dr B :

what medications is she taking?

Customer:

meds shes taking in addition to coumedin; levothyroxine 50 mg/furosemide 20mg/avelox 400mg

Customer:

and methylprednisolone tablets 4mg

Dr B :

Why does she take methylprednisonone?

Customer:

i do not know. its a 6 day regemine prescribed when she was discharged Sunday. She took 6 pills Monday, 5 pills today, 4 pills tomorrow, 3 pills, 2 pills etc

Dr B :

Does she take any other medications?

Customer:

albuterol through an inhaler as needed. I misspelled the drug she takes for the six days. it is methylprednisolone. no other drugs

Dr B :

What dose of lasix is she on?

Customer:

If methylprednisolone is lasix she has finished day 2.

Dr B :

Lasix is furosemide

Customer:

day 2. I don't know if she started taking it in the hospital.She began it monday, yesterday.

Dr B :

I mean is she taking 20 mg once a day or twice daily

Customer:

she is on 20mg 1 daily.

Dr B :

When you press down on the swollen area does it leave an indentation that stays for a few seconds?

Customer:

no. not giving with pressure.

Customer:

we release she is not taken her procardia in the morning since sunday.

Dr B :

This may be a sign of her heart failing, and it may indicate that she needs to be on the appropriate medications like a beta blocker and an ACE inhibitor.It may also be due to her not taking her procardia as well. I think it would be wise for her to have an echocardiogram if she has not had one. She may also need a higher dose of lasix

Customer:

we realize she has not taken the procardia since sunday!

Dr B :

Has her blood pressure been stable?

Customer:

Not while she was in the hospital. I don't have the capability to take her blood pressure at home. She had numerous heart test in the hospital and was cleared . I think we have made a mistake by not taking the procardia.

Dr B :

I think she should re-start it right away if she was supposed to be taking it

Customer:

Will do. and will continue. Anything else?

Dr B :

No, just the other things I mentioned as well

Customer:

When should I see the impact of the procardia? 12 hours, 24 hours?

Dr B :

24-48 hours

Customer:

So the swelling may remain until tomorrow evening? She has a doctor appointment Thursday at 1:30PM

Dr B :

Yes it may remain until tomorrow evening

Customer:

okay. I'm good. Gotta go give her the procardia now. Thanks

Dr B :

You're welcome
Let me know if you have any more questions or concerns

If you are satisfied please click ACCEPT to end this chat session