Dr. Hasan
Dr. Hasan, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS, FCPS, with experience in all fields of medicine and surgery
28983357

My friend is constantly hocking up mucus and spitting it

Customer Question

My friend is constantly hocking up mucus and spitting it out. It is a thick mucus and they even spit up blood mixed in sometimes. What would some of the causes for this be.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 6 years ago.
DR HASAN :

HI

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question

DR HASAN :

Since how long he has this?

DR HASAN :

Is he coughing it out or just feel throat irritation and spit it out?

Customer:

He has been doing this since I've known him for over a year. He is constantly hocking up mucus and spitting it out. The other day he spit in the toilet and there was blood. i questioned him and he said he has been having that for a while. I don't know if it is because he has irritated his throat. He is always like clearing his throat. I wonder should he get it checked but he insists its been like that for a couple of years.

DR HASAN :

Does he feel nasal obstruction , nasal discharge, headache, numbness on face, loose teeth, eye bulging etc?

Customer:

he gets headaches (sometimes bad ones), he has cavities I beleive. Nothing nasal no eye bulding, no loose teeth that I know of.

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your input

DR HASAN :

There are two chances that he has either some pathologies in the sinuses or in the lungs

DR HASAN :

That can be inflammatory in nature like tuberculosis etc

DR HASAN :

or can even be some sort of tumor in these areas

DR HASAN :

i suggest that he should see a doctor at the earliest to get blood work up and CT scan of sinuses and chest after a detailed examination

DR HASAN :

this is something which should not be ignored

DR HASAN :

your thoughts?

DR HASAN :

you there

DR HASAN :

hello

DR HASAN :

Ask him to get it checked because chronic sinus infections can present sometime even like this and can be treated easily

Customer:

Yes, I thought that he should see a doctor. I don't know if it is TB or anything because I would imagine his symptoms would be worse by now. I do beleive he should get this checked out however. Tumor in what area would you say

Customer:

If it's sinus infections wouldn't his nasal passages bother him

DR HASAN :

Tumor of sinuses or chest

DR HASAN :

Its not necessary to get nasal symptoms always because he clears throat again and again and this is because of the mucus dripping in the throat from back of nose and actually its coming from sinuses

Customer:

ok, I think I will talk him into at least getting it checked out. Especially since he does sometimes get severe headaches.

DR HASAN :

Yes you should

DR HASAN :

i wish him good luck

DR HASAN :

'Do you want to ask anything else?

Customer:

No that's it, thank you very much.

DR HASAN :

you are most welcome

DR HASAN :

ask your friend not to get scared , tumor is at last in the list