Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

Fiorinal vs Fioricet: Fiorinal is controlled class III, Fioricet not?

Customer Question
Why is Fiorinal a controlled...

Why is Fiorinal a controlled class III when Fioricet is not? I know the only difference between them is the asprin (Fiorinal) vs acetaminophen (Fioricet). Does Tylenol reduce the abuse potential?

Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Health
11/4/2010
Health Professional: Dr. Owen, Doctor replied 7 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor

Hello, and I am pleased to help.

Where are you getting the information from? The Department of Justice?

A pharmacist

The DEA, drug enforcement makes that decision, and DEA is part of the Department of Justice. See www.justice.gov/dea

That's not really an answer That's like a parent saying "because I said so". I'm looking for the reason why the drugs are treated different. The facts that made up the DEA answer.

I understand your frustration - but we as doctors do not make the rules - the DOJ/DEA makes the rules and classifies these medications - we do not - and honestly there are many medication classifications that make absolutely no sense. We just have to abide by the rules - take care.

Fiorinal contains a small amount of a barbiturate.

The both contain butalbital a barbiturate
Health Professional: Alan Gibstein, M.D., Doctor replied 7 years ago
Alan Gibstein, M.D.

It turns out, after consulting with the DEA and a connection at NIH, that there is no logic in it and no one knows how or when this stupid classification began. They are identical except in the pain relieving part.

Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D.
Alan Gibstein, M.D., Doctor