Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I recently had a blood panel done. The following is what was

Customer Question

I recently had a blood panel done. The following is what was found. Can you explain what could cause these?
Globulin High
A/G Ratio low
Osmolality Calc Low
Neutrophils High
Lymphocytes Low
Ferritin, Folate and Magnessium are low and am taking iron and magnessium/potassium daily
my email is***@******.*** Thank you. Lora Baker
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 years ago.
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

Th A/G ratio is the ratio between albumin (the main protein in blood) and immunoglobulins (also proteins.) The A/G ratio being low relates to the globulin level being high.

Anthony Bray MD :

The higher than normal globulin level is by itself nonspecific and may fluctuate with time. This can result from a lymphoma as the more concerning potential but it may be caused by your immune system currently being very active.

Anthony Bray MD :

The osmolality is the realtive amount of solids dissolved in the blood as compared to fluid.

Anthony Bray MD :

The high neutrophils and low lymphocytes are consistent with your currently fighting a bacterial type infection.

Anthony Bray MD :

The pattern would be the reverse in a viral infection.

Anthony Bray MD :

The low ferritin relates to your iron stores which are low... Folate is a nutrient and magnesium is an electrolyte..

Anthony Bray MD :

You can add folate or B-complex to your current supplements to benefit these deficiencies..

Anthony Bray MD :

The abnormalities that you had on your blood work should correct as the infection has time to clear (and probably has the benefit of antibiotic treatment) and you have time to correct the nutritional deficiencies...

I hope this information helps. Further questions are welcome if you have others. I will be happy to get back with you if you do. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD