CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

I have been bitten and stung by tiny insects, which I have

I have been bitten and stung by tiny white insects, which I have tentatively identified as possibly bird lice. They get on a person's body, preferably arms, back and practically everywhere. They burrow into the skin living off blood supply. In time they become painful as they feed. I have had exterminators in to treat the apartment, but nothing rids me of them. Exterminators say they aren't bed bugs or fleas. When under a microscope they seem to be almost invisible. But they are real and make splotches on the body like oversized moles. What are they, and how can I get rid of them?
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. Have you actually seen the insects?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
they have invaded my apartment. they are very tiny, white, and they prefer to get on the skin and burrow into it. They stay in the apartment for months, and one may see them on everything, but what they want is to burrow into the skin and suck blood. I have many stings and bites on my arms, legs, back and under the breasts. when they puncture the skin it is like a painful medical shot. Then they lie quietly for sometime until they seem to grow large, appearing like a larva of some kind. I have tried tea oil hoping the odor of that product will deter them, but nothing has worked. The bites are very painful, and I fear they might be carrying a disease.
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Since you live near a wooded are you may have a problem with biting midges... here is a link to read more about them:
http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/aquatic/biting_midges.htm
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.