Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

back..stomach..Have had ultrasound on gallbladder, no stones detected

Customer Question

Been having abdominal pain in the right side which radiates to the middle back. Severe bloating and gurgling in stomach. Have had ultrasound on galbladder, no stones detected. Also had an endioscopic ultrasound, which gastrologist stated that pancreas had damage and also said gastritis, but did not seem to concerned. Took the three stool sample test which came back normal, also waiting on results of heta scan on galbladder. Still in pain. What should my next step be? Thanks, Leo
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 years ago.

Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience: 14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 6 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. An irritated pancreas would cause the symptoms you are experiencing. The pancreas can become irritated due to many factors including, alcohol, gallbladder disease ( you don't have to have stones.. there can be sludge that can cause all kinds of problems as well) , and trauma to the area. I would recommend you completely omit any and all fat foods... fat will definitely worsen your pain. Go on a diet of high protein ( Chicken breasts with all visible fat removed) soft baked breads and cooked vegetables... make sure to drink at least 8 glasses of water per day. If you are having an especially bad day with pain go on a liquid diet for a day or two, this will help calm the pancreas and decreas pain termendously. Your next step is for the Doctor to try to find out what is causing this problem and try to correct it. I do hope this information helps, please let me know if I can help you further:-)

The results you list include two concerns the pancreas damage and the gastritis. The pancreas damage would imply either acute pancreatitis (short term and occurring now) or chronic/recurrent or past pancreatitis. The potential causes of pancreatitis(inflammation of the pancreas) may include too much alcohol, too high of triglycerides, gallstones, certain drugs, and auto-immune causes.

The pain radiating to the back would be consistent with pancreatitis as the cause. Treatment of acute pancreatitis focuses on bowel rest. Those with severe acute disease and very high enzyme levels may need hospitalization, meds for pain control and complete bowel rest for a period of time to allow things to settle.

Chronic pancreatitis may lead into pancreatic insufficiency. This condition is where the damaged pancreas does not produce enough of the needed digestive enzymes and supplemental enzymes may need to be given.

If a gallstone should be blocking the pancreatitis duct then you would need a procedure to remove this.

Observing a low fat diet helps to prevent flare up of symptoms.

The gastritis is not as serious of a problem but still you need to treat this. Reducing the stomach's acid production with Prilosec, Prevacid (these are OTC) are helpful. Watching to avoid irritants also helps this condition>>avoid peppers, tomatoes, citrus fruits(for the short term), anti-inflammatory meds, hot spicy foods, alcohol and coffee and this will help this condition.

I hope this information helps. Further questions re welcome if you have others. Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor