How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CamilleRN Your Own Question
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 4183
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
Type Your Health Question Here...
CamilleRN is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have tintinutis and have this contual hissing in my head,

This answer was rated:

I have tintinutis and have this contual hissing in my head, I have had it for months and it seems to be getting louder. If there anything I can do to reduce the hissing. Can this be dangerous?
Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. No, it's not dangerous at all. Unless a definitive cause is known and can be eliminated, such as a high blood sugar... or a sensitivity to a certain food...or a toxicity to a medication or other substance, Tinnitus is treated with noise substitution. Has your Doctor fully investigated the cause?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
High blood sugar is not a problem. What types of food or toxicity to what medications can cause this?. What is noise substitution? Thank you
ANy kind of food can cause's a matter of knowing which food or spice or additive you may be allergic to that is causing it, if this is the case. Medications also can cause an allergic or toxic reaction that can lead to tinnitus.. different people are affected by different chemicals, foods , medications etc. Noise cancellation is a substitute noise... like a desk fan which makes a soothing rush of air sound that can cancel out the tinnitus sounds you hear. Have you seen an Ear /Nose /Throat Doctor to try to find out the cause of the tinnitus?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have not seen an Ear/Nose/Throat doctor as yet. What types of test would they recommentd and are they invasive?

thanks very much, it is so great to have someone to talk to with your caliber of expertise.

First he will look in your ears possibly with a high powered magnifier, this doesn't hurt at all.... depending upon what he could be a matter of a build up of wax causing this problem... if so, he will remove it, also painlessly. If further visualization is needed you may be asked to undergo a CT scan, which is like an Xray and doesn't hurt at all. You may be asked to take a hearing test so he can determine which , if any frequency is presenting a problem. All of the examination information he collects from testing will direct the care you will benefit most from.
CamilleRN and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Health Questions