Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
23849074

I lost 20 lbs on supplements and portion control. I changed

I lost 20 lbs on supplements and portion control. I changed my diet, higher in fiber after a period of constipation. I now go on a regular am basis. But now I am experiencing a burning in my anus. It typical starts an hour or so after a movement and will last for an hour. It is very anoying and am wondering if I should have my colon and prostate checked. I am 46 years old, 5'10', 174 lbs and on a blood pressure medication....I have low blood pressure now but was borderl ine high when I started taking the medication 3 years ago. I think the weight loss has really helped my blood pressure. What do you think is causiong my burning?

It is quite possible that you either have an anal fissure - tiny "cuts" in the rectum or even internal hemorrhoids that burn after the stool is passed.

It would be wise to have your provider do a rectal exam where he can check for this and examine the prostate at the same time.

Good job and congrats on the weight loss!