How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Celeste NP Your Own Question
Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 1002
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Celeste NP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My right side is often colder than my left side. The

Resolved Question:

My right side is often colder than my left side. The temperature differential is significant enough that my wife can feel the difference. What kinds of questions should I be asking my physician?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.


Are you talking about an arm or leg or both?

Do you notice any discoloration between the two sides?

ANy pain or numbness?

For how long has this been going on?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Both arm and leg, usually my hand and foot more than the arm or leg.
No discoloration between sides.
No pain
Probably over a year now off and on.
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

This is a little unusual to be both upper and lower extremities.

Typically we look for circulation issues. Pulses equal,any color changes, etc. If those are normal then we think of nerve compression.

With Nerve compressed there is usually accompanying numbness, pain of varying degrees, muscle mass differences, etc.

But not all symptoms need to be present for either condition to be there.

So, your question was what to ask your provider about...

1 - Be sure to tell him how bothersome it is, any changes you notice. IF you have any weakness on that side compared to the other or decreased grip or leg not as strong, etc.

2 - Ask if he thinks it is a circulation issue or a nerve issue.

3 - If he does not address the issue to your satisfaction you could ask to be referred to a neurologist. They would be a good place to start.

SO the main thing is to tell him specifically your concerns and any changes you have noticed. Make your appointment for just this one thing, It will take time and a whole office visit to just address this issue. I would encourage you not to see him for other reasons and then say "Oh, by the way...". We tend not to have the time to really focus on the "by the way or while I am here" complaints. :)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Are there any specific diseases or conditions that might cause this?
Expert:  Celeste NP replied 6 years ago.

Again it is unusual for it to be both extremities, Sometimes it can be due to a history of trauma of the neck/shoulder for the arm - lower back/hip for the leg.

With it being both arm and leg, one may consider compression on the nerves effect that side of the body which would be in the head. That is why a neurologist would be helpful.

It is difficult to say without a very through exam and putting all the findings together.

Celeste NP and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you

Related Health Questions