How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Celeste NP Your Own Question
Celeste NP
Celeste NP, Nurse Practitioner
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 1002
Experience:  Family Practice with emphasis in Women's Health, Forensics, Urgent Care, for 14 years.
Type Your Health Question Here...
Celeste NP is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

sharp pain in my right buttock, it felt like I was being poked

This answer was rated:

A week ago last Sunday I started getting a sharp pain in my right buttock, it felt like I was being poked with a hot poker. I looked for any kind of bite but nothing. I have not fallen or done anything to strain myself. I ignored the pain for a day or two and it got worse. It is very hard for me to sit or drive my car the pain gets soo bad. I started getting pain in my right leg and into my foot, so I thought I could have pinched a nerve but that went away the same day. My concern is this. Five years ago I had to have a partial vulvectomy due to a pre-cancerous spot. My last check up was in August and everything turned out fine. But now the pain has spread to that area too. It feels like it is on fire. I am also very sore in my lower tailbone area. The pain of course does get better if I stand, but I have a desk job. What should I do??



What you are describing certainly does sound like a neuropathic type of pain. Even if it does not shoot down your leg anymore.


WHen the sciatic nerve is inflamed it can cause the pain in the buttock.


You need to be examined by your general provider especially as the pain/burning sensation is spreading to the pelvic area, it means it is getting more involved.


Sounds like you do have a nerve compression. I don't think your GYN would be of any help with this type of condition so I would definitely start with your general provider for an extensive exam.

Celeste NP and other Health Specialists are ready to help you