Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Why do I blink so much uncontrollably? I can't seem to stop…

Customer Question
Why do I blink so...
Why do I blink so much uncontrollably? I can't seem to stop myself from blinking. The muscles that control my blinking even starts to hurt after a while. I am a 28 years old man and the blinking started about 8 years ago. I noticed one day that I started blinking and rubbing my eyes a lot. Sometimes my eyes would hurt and get teary, dry eyed and/or feel itchy. Right now my eyes feel dirty like I have crust in my eyes but I do not see any crust. I feel like I have to clean them. I have never seen a doctor about it. When I have to visit a doctor...which is not very often...I forget to ask about it b/c I'm never blinking! I've tried taking Visine eye solution but it never goes completely away. It might subside sometime but not all the time. Washing my face helps the most. Could you please tell me why I keep blinking so uncontrollably until it hurts? Please help!
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Health
10/4/2010
Health Professional: Family Physician, Doctor (MD) replied 7 years ago
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)
Excessive blinking can be a sign of obsessive compulsive disorder, blepharospasms or Tourettes syndrome.

You should make an appointment with a ophthalmologist neurologist to have an examination to determine the cause of your symptoms.
What is blepharospasms?
Here are some sites that provide detailed information on this neurologic condition
http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/blepharospasm/blepharospasm.htm
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1212176-overview

I should emphasize that without an examination, there is no way to make a diagnosis. This is only one potential cause of excessive blinking.
Are there neurological disorders that may cause excessive blinking?
Blepharospasm and Tourettes are both neurologic disorders
Obsessive compulsive disorder is considered an anxiety disorder
Family Physician, Doctor (MD)