Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
8708167

My 44 year old son has a spot INSIDE his pancreas. He has a

My 44 year old son has a spot INSIDE his pancreas. He has a history of about one and a half years now of pancreatitis probably brought on from alcohol. Another flair up last April stopped his drinking, he is back to doctors, the spot has gone from 9.7 about two months ago to 11.7 last monday. He had a PET scan today. What could this spot be?
Chat Conversation Started
DrTharun :

Hello

DrTharun :

Are you talking about the size in cms(9.7 and 11.7)?

DrTharun :

Is there any lump in the abdomen? Jaundice, vomiting, abdominal pain?

DrTharun :

any weight loss? Any other tests done ?

DrTharun :

any weight loss? Any other tests done ?

Customer:

hello - size is mm

DrTharun :

Any tumor markers done like CEA or CA- 19,9?

DrTharun :

Any other hot spots on the pet scan?

DrTharun :

Was a CT scan done?

Customer:

no lump in pancreas, no jaundice, has had at least one bout of vomiting from eggs, has abdominal pain when he eats somethings that are not on his diet. He has been on a diet for pancreatitis for a few months and has been sucsessful.

Customer:

Not sure of the cea or ca-19.

Customer:

yes, a CAT was done Aug 10, then Sept 27, then the PET today.

DrTharun :

What was the CT findings - solid or cystic with enhancement or no enhancement?

DrTharun :

How long has he been drinking? Any family history of abdominal cancers?

Customer:

The ct scan in Aug showed a cyst - now dissolved, inflamation by the dueodenum - now clear, and a couple lymph nodes were included in the discusion, there was a narrowing of a duct and I don't know which duct this was but apparently is ok now. But, the spot that was there before ( we weren't aware of the spot) has grown the amount in mm I indicated. He has drank since a teen, definitely quit this April. I know his dad had a slow growing protate cancer at his time of death, but other familial cancers I am not aware of

DrTharun :

Such a small lesion could be benign cyst or a calcification due to pancreatitis.Other test like blood tumor markers should be done to get a lead to the diagnosis.

DrTharun :

But definitive diagnosis could be given after a tissue biopsy.

DrTharun :

The problem with these small lesions is it is very difficult to achieve a needle biopsy

DrTharun :

Sometimes if the imaging studies suggest a benign pathology and tumor markers are in normal range, then it can be watched upon with serial scans.

Customer:

Thank you. I will see if blood tumor marker tests have been done. I have just become involved in the last three months or so. I am a panicky mom having lost two sons, my last husband to pancreatic cancer in 1999. If this is in fact a cancer beginning would the blood markers show it at this size?

DrTharun :

Sometimes mucinous neoplasms can be present with such small sizes.But again the proceeding will be same.

DrTharun :

Not always , but if they are raised then it would be near certain thing and will be diagnosing the tumor in early stage.

Customer:

Ok. I will check with his family doctor to see if these blood tests have been done. Being as the spot is on the inside would the PET show if it is raised? I realize a tissue biopsy would be difficult.

DrTharun :

PET will show if the spot is hyperactive as in case of tumor and infections where the molecular consumption is higher than surrounding normal tissues.

Customer:

PS. the two sons I lost were not pancreatic cancer, just my husband and he was not the biological dad.

DrTharun :

That fact and the age goes against the cancer.But it is only assumption and needs to be confirmed .

Customer:

Ok. I think I understand. Your information is very helpful. I will pass it on to Charlie.

Customer:

Thank you very much.

DrTharun :

you are welcome.