Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My mother age 96 takes sev eral blood pressure medications

Customer Question
and still, in the morning...
My mother age 96 takes sev eral blood pressure medications and still, in the morning her blood pressure after getting up in the morning is around (185/90) making it difficult for her to function. Why is it so high first thing in the morning, when it is good when she retires at night?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Health
10/1/2010
Health Professional: Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician replied 7 years ago
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Chat Conversation Started
Dr B :

Hello, what medical conditions does she have?

Dr B :

Did you se my question?

Dr B :

see

Customer:

my mother age 96 has high blood pressure however in the morning when she first gets up its very high

Dr B :

Does she have any other medical conditions?

Customer:

she takes several medications but when she retires at night it's ok, but very high first thing in the morning (190/92)

Dr B :

Did you see my last question?

Customer:

furosemide 20 mg, diltiazem , 240 mg, digoxtin tab 125 mg, evry third day and Hydrochlorothiazide 25 mg

Dr B :

Can you see my questions?

Customer:

others would be tylinole pm , vitamins,

Dr B :

Can you se my questions?Answer Yes or No please

Customer:

Yes

Customer:

I've answered your questions

Dr B :

I asked if she has any other medical conditions

Customer:

Ranitidine, 150 mg other than that, no

Dr B :

Not medications, I want to know if she has any other illnesses that she suffers from

Customer:

she has an anurism, but it seems to be under control. Her mind is sound and she doesn't walk too much. Mostly stays in her room and she tires easily

Customer:

she uses a nebulizer, and is on oxygen 24 hours daily, so sorry

Dr B :

How familiar are you with her treatment and condition? I ask this because furosemide, diltiazem and digoxin are used to treat heart failure

Dr B :

Are you there?

Customer:

Yes I've had her living with me for the past 15 years, Her Dr, Dr Deguzman takes very good care of her, and I 've had Home health for her at times for her heart problems, but she's one tough lady, (my Mom) and I want her as comfortable as she can be. They've increased her oxygen to 3 and her nebulizer is ibutropium. She recently was ssent to the emergency room for her heart, but they say all her blood work is good and the say

Customer:

to keep on as planned. I hate not to respond to her needs but I don't know what to do and the doctor thinks everything is ok

Dr B :

So you are aware that she has heart failure?

Customer:

Yes what do I need to know about how that effects her blood pressure

Dr B :

for me to help, I need you to answer any questions I ask to the best of your ability. I asked before what other ilnesses she has and you did not mention heart failure.Are there any other medical illnesses she is being treated for?

Customer:

No

Dr B :

How are her kidneys?

Customer:

Well, she wwas having a problem and that's when the doctor took her off a medication and put her on the fursemide.

Dr B :

What medication?

Customer:

Spirolatonate, something like that.

Customer:

I think it had something to do with her potassium level.

Dr B :

What time does she take each medication?

Customer:

She takes them at night one each and takes a clonidine in the morning.I'm so sorry I didn't mention the clonidine did I. God Im so nervous.

Customer:

She uses the nebulizer 4 times daily

Dr B :

Why does she use a nebulizer?

Customer:

It helps to keep her able to breath deeply. I guess , you see when you ask me all these things it makes me remember I guess, COPD is part of her problem too, That's a medical problem too, right. I feel so stupid right now

Dr B :

Don't worry, we are making progress

Customer:

Good, because, I'm almost in tears

Dr B :

Has she evar been tried on lisinopril?

Customer:

No, not that I remember. Would that be in place of th hydrochlorthiazide?

Dr B :

No, they could add it to hydrochlorothiazide, which is not a strong blood pressure medicine, it is one of the weakest. Lisinopril on the other hand, is stronger and it also will help with her heart

Customer:

That sounds good to me. Do I have to ask Dr. DE Guzman, or shouldn't he even know about it?

Dr B :

He should know about it, and I advise you to suggest it to him

Customer:

Well Dr. B if you think it will help then I most certainly will as k him I guess that answers my question

Customer:

I thank you and are we through here?

Dr B :

I think it will help, and patients with heart failure should ideally be on lisinopril to begin with, so I am surprised she is not on it

Dr B :

You're welcome,If you are satified, you may click ACCEPT

Customer:

Thank you so much.

Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims
Dr. Brims, U.S. Licensed Physician