How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Abby Your Own Question
Dr. Abby
Dr. Abby, Board Certified MD
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 10330
Experience:  Family Physician, practicing medicine for over 10 years, United States
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Abby is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Male 72 years old numbness in two fingures of right hand no

Resolved Question:

Male 72 years old numbness in two fingures of right hand no other apparent symptoms
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.

Which two fingers are numb?
How long has it been going on?
Any wrist, elbow or neck pain?

Dr Abby
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
pinky and next fingure over numbness seems also to be intermittent i e comes and goes I have no neck or back pain I have no wrist or elbow pain
Expert:  Dr. Abby replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for the additional information,

The symptoms you are describing are suggestive of something called ulnar neuropathy.
The ulnar nerve is the nerve that supplies the sensation to the pinkie, ring finger and part of the middle finger.
The most common place for the ulnar nerve to be irritated or compressed is in the elbow. The ulnar nerve is the nerve that we hit when we hit our "funny bone". Less commonly the entrapment/compression can occur in the wrist or at shoulder/collarbone level.

A nerve test (called an EMG/nerve conduction study) will be able to diagnose exactly where the irritation or compression is occuring.
An xray of the shoulder/elbow and wrist may also be needed.

Since it has been coming and going, I suggest that you make an appointment with your doctor sometime in the near future for an evaluation. It is not urgent unless you develop sudden weakenss of the hand or spreading numbness to other parts of the body.

For now, you can try icing the elbow, use and anti-inflammatory and try using an elbow protection pad (like rollerbladers use, for example) to keep the elbow from getting irritated when resting on chairs/tables, etc. If you have high blood pressure or a history of ulcers, use tylenol instead.

Let me know if you have any follow up questions.

Dr Abby

If you are satisfied with my help, please remember to click accept. Thank you!!
Dr. Abby and 5 other Health Specialists are ready to help you