How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Owen Your Own Question
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 55754
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Owen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 43 and have a 9 year old daughter. She and I are

Customer Question

I am 43 and have a 9 year old daughter. She and I are experiencing the same recurring stomach ache. It's been off and on for a few months now. Our stomachs will hurt for 3 weeks or so then feel better for a few weeks. It is a pain in the upper part of our stomach, in the middle of our abdomen above the navel. We arent' excessively gassy, just feel nauseous most of the time. It hurts worse first thing in the morning or when we are hungry. Mine feels better in the evening usually. It is just a constant pain, literally. We are not experiencing diarrhea with these symptoms. I find it strange that we both have the same sypmtoms. I took her to her pediatrician a few months ago and after their recommendations of putting her on probiotics and feeding her bland food we have the same sypmtoms. I need to know what type of doctor do I go to now. When I went to my Primary Care Provider they suggested Nexium and bland food. I am tired of silently suffering all the time. Any suggestions? Could this be parasites or some shared infection?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Both of you are experiencing this?
Did you both give stool samples to be analyzed?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Yes it's both of us.

No, we have not given stool samples.

Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Since you are BOTH having he same symptoms - I would highly recommend a stool sample from both of you to be looked at by a pathologist - you could have a bacterial infection, you could even have a parasitic infection such as 'worms' -
Also, this could be a food allergy that you both share - and this should be evaluated too.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Any suggestions in the meantime of what else we can possibly try to alleviate the pain? She stayed home from school today I don't want her to miss any more days over this. I have made mint tea, soda water, along with the other over the counter meds such as the Tums, Pepto Bismol and avoided dairy. Am I correct in understanding that I should make an appointment with a pathologist? That is the proper doctor we should see in this case?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
The nexium ( a prescription can be used) , a similar medications that is available over the counter is Prilosce (omeprazole), and Zantac (ranitidine) which both can be used at the same time. Your doctor should send the stool samples to the pathologist (laboratory) for you for the pathologist to evaluate.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I specifically inquired as the the type of doctor I should schedule and appointment with and never recieved an answer addressing that question.
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
If you look at my answer I stated that your doctor should collect the stool sample and send it off to the laboratory for a pathologist to look at. This can be any type of doctor such as a family physician, an internal medicine, a pediatrician, an ob/gyn - so any type of doctor can collect this. And, a pathologist is not the type of doctor that actually sees patients - they just look at organs and samples and make determinations as to what the disease process is.
Dr. Owen and 4 other Health Specialists are ready to help you