How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JanelleRPA Your Own Question
JanelleRPA, Physician Assistant
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 322
Experience:  25 + years of experience in family practice, internal medicine and family planning
Type Your Health Question Here...
JanelleRPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I ask my doctor for a blood test, mouth swab or brain scan

This answer was rated:

Can I ask my doctor for a blood test, mouth swab or brain scan to tell whether my 13 year old son has ADHD ? I've been batter-ling most of his school life with paediatricians ect. I need help, manly for the school to be more understanding.
thank you

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. I can tell from your letter how much you care about your son and want to help him. Unfortunately, there is no single test which can diagnose ADHD. The diagnosis is based on observation of behavioral characteristics.


I've provided a link (below) here to an excellent discussion on the Mayo Clinic website. Among other things, it lists the diagnostic criteria for ADHD. If you carefully document the behaviors you observe and then discuss your observations with your pediatrician or family doctor, you should be able to partner with them in creating a plan to help your child. If your pediatrician or family doctor isn't open to such a discussion, you could start over with a new provider, or perhaps seek an opinion from a psychologist or neurologist. Here is the Mayo Clinic article:


I hope this guidance is helpful and I send you my sincere best wishes,









JanelleRPA and 3 other Health Specialists are ready to help you