A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

I used a nasal spray of 50 mcg Fluticasone Propionate for 30

Customer Question

I used a nasal spray of 50 mcg Fluticasone Propionate for 30 days. I have stopped using it since Aug.20. I have a strong metallic taste in mouth, severe foot pain that seems to radiate upward to shoulders and even hands, fell very bloated and have swollen ankles. Also acute neuropathy in toes and halfway down foot near heel. I feel as though I am poisoned and even checked arsenic poisoning symptems. Can you be of any help in relieving these acute symptoms? Thanks, ***** *****
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Hasan replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
DR HASAN :

HI

Customer:

Hello

DR HASAN :

Thanks for your question

DR HASAN :

Were you have sinusitis for which the spray was given?

Customer:

Any ideas?

Customer:

No I had problems with fluid in ears.

DR HASAN :

any diagnosed medical condition

Customer:

Diagnosed as fluid on inside of eardrums.

DR HASAN :

Which investigations done so far and which specialist you have visited so far

DR HASAN :

please stay in the chat

Customer:

None. Can't stay too much longer.

DR HASAN :

DR HASAN :

ok fine

DR HASAN :

The symptoms you are experiencing have nothing to do with the spray

DR HASAN :

The metallic taste in your mouth can be a part of sinus inflammation which at the same time can be a part of the disease responsible for the ear fluid

DR HASAN :

I myself is ENT doctor and give these sprays to pt but no side effect like that they develop

DR HASAN :

The other symptoms you are having are not related to arsenic, they seems to be part of multisystemic problems.

Customer:

Could you also indicate the time these effects may remain after steroid use?

Customer:

Ears have cleared up. But these after effects persist. Should I continue spray abnd for how long?

DR HASAN :

You need to visit your doctor for detailed examination and investigations like complete blood work up and other investigations as per his suspision.

DR HASAN :

Do you have any fluid trickling in throat, throat irritation etc

Customer:

OK

Customer:

No

DR HASAN :

Then you can stop the spray.

DR HASAN :

Hello

DR HASAN :

Please click ACCEPT if you agree

DR HASAN :

If you want to ask more please feel free

Customer:

What would you like for me to accept? I have not really received any info that I already had and, in fact know, that this specific steroid can have similar after effects. I was looking for a treatment recommendation to alleviate these after effects. ??

DR HASAN :

ok fine

DR HASAN :

good luck

DR HASAN :

i will opt out so that some other expert might help you.

DR HASAN :

get well soon

Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

I am baffled as to why you would think you'd get arsenic poisoning from a corticosteroid spray, or why you would think something you sprayed in your nose would cause foot pain. Fluticasone propionate has an elimination half life of 7.8 hours. That is the length of time it takes for half of the dosage of the drug to be completely out of the body. It takes about 6-7 half-lives for all of it to be out of the body after the final dose is taken. That would be 47-55 hours (about 2-3 days at the maximum) for all of it to be gone from your body after you stopped taking it. Naturally if you are no longer taking it, you can't be having any side effects from it.

Foot pain, swelling and neuropathy need to be evaluated to determine what is causing them. Edema in the ankles and feet can come from injury, inflammation, infection, blood clots, kidney disease, heart disease including heart failure, and a number of other things that should be checked for immediately. Your primary physician would be the place to start determining what is causing your symptoms.

A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience: Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist