A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner
Experience:  Board Certified NP, MS, RN. 25 years private practice & hospitalist
3157612

Is there a difference between potassium gluconate and

Customer Question

Is there a difference between potassium gluconate and potassium chloride? I've been taking the former because of painful muscle contractions. I have also been under a GI's care for several years. I've had a lower GI series, an upper GI series, a colonoscopy several blood tests, and several stool samples in the past couple months. The doctor has a list of my two meds and the supplements which I take. All tests have come back negative; however, I still have diarrhea since the beginning of June 2010. I noticed that both potassium gluconate and potassium chloride can cause diarrhea. My doctor has me taking Imodium twice a day as a temporary solution to the problem. Five stool sample results are still pending.
Category: Health
Expert:  A. Schuyler, NP replied 7 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. Potassium gluconate and chloride are just different salts of potassium. One is no more likely to cause diarrhea than the other.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
The potassium gluconate dosage is 595 mg. The potassium chloride dosage is 20mEq. Please compare their strengths for me.

595 mg of potassium gluconate is about 2.5 mEq.