Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I have had almost pure liquid diarhea with blood in it for

I have had almost pure liquid diarhea with blood in it for almost 4 days now and going 4 or 5 times a day. I have a history of IBS. I have gained 4 or 5 pounds in 4 days and my stomach is bloated. I just left a message for a GI Dr. I know, but should I be any more concerned, ie., rushing to the hospital?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Anthony Bray MD :

Hello!

Anthony Bray MD :

If you are losing a significant amount of blood with the diarrhea then this may be cause to go to the ER. In general a bloody diarrhea may need medical treatment as this can be a sign of a more virulaent GI infection such as Salmonella or Shigella for example.

JACUSTOMER-jdpoy1dh- :

I've had it for a few days, so I'm starting to think its significant

Anthony Bray MD :

Severe diarrhea will tend to lead to dehydration and this if very severe would need treatment. If you have low volume of diarrhea and this is blood streaked but not large amount of blood in it then it would be less urgent.

Anthony Bray MD :

Abdominal pain and fever would be other signs of potential concern..

JACUSTOMER-jdpoy1dh- :

Its definitely more than blood streaked. I have been drinking a lot of water

Anthony Bray MD :

If you feel that you have seen a significant amount of blood then it would be best to be checked out without delay..

JACUSTOMER-jdpoy1dh- :

Pain is minimal and I don't feel feverish, I did the first day, but it broke that night

JACUSTOMER-jdpoy1dh- :

The bloating and weight gain are making me uncomfortable

Anthony Bray MD :

It sounds that you still have a concerning level of illness with this if you hacve had a significantly bloody diarrhea going on.

JACUSTOMER-jdpoy1dh- :

but pain is minimal

JACUSTOMER-jdpoy1dh- :

Yes

JACUSTOMER-jdpoy1dh- :

But can it wait until tomorrow

Anthony Bray MD :

The bloating and weight gain may be what we refer to as third spacing of fluid. This may be edema or swelling of the loops of bowel and possibly inflammatory fluid within the abdominal cavity.

JACUSTOMER-jdpoy1dh- :

Which means? LOL

Anthony Bray MD :

It is a judgement call as to the how urgent. This depends in large part of how significant the bleeding as well as the other signs. It doesnot sound that you have dehydration to a great extent but it may creep up on you,

Anthony Bray MD :

Oh yeah with the above...when the thin walls of the bowel are swollen then they will contain more fluid. Sort of like when you sprain your ankle it is swollen with fluid in the tissue...

JACUSTOMER-jdpoy1dh- :

I felt pretty thirsty earlier, but knocked it back with a few glasses of water

JACUSTOMER-jdpoy1dh- :

Aha!

Anthony Bray MD :

The fluid in the abdominal caivity may be free stading fluid outside the GI tract

Anthony Bray MD :

Feeling light headed or dizzy with standing would be one of the signs of dehydration to watch for. The thirst ios a symptom as well to keep an eye on..

JACUSTOMER-jdpoy1dh- :

Alright, I think it can wait 'till morning. Thanks Doc!

JACUSTOMER-jdpoy1dh- :

Anthony Bray MD :

You are welcome. Good luck, I hope that you feel better soon.

JACUSTOMER-jdpoy1dh- :

Thank you

If you have further questions then I will be happy to get back with you.If my answers have been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD