CamilleRN
CamilleRN, Nurse (RN)
Experience:  Experience: 20 yrs experience in ER, ICU, Neuro, OR, Chemo,Cardiology, Dermatology and MORE.
22106326

Why does my poop smell like mothballs. I did a detox cleanse

why does my poop smell like mothballs. I did a detox cleanse earlier this year, and had surgery 2 months ago (a lower body lift).
Category: Health
Expert:  CamilleRN replied 7 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
CamilleRN :

Welcome to JustAnswer Health...and thank you for your question. I am a verified Expert and am delighted to help you today. Some bacteria produce unusual smelling stool that can be attributed to bacteria overgrowth or nitrogen being insufficiently digested or improperly metabolized. I would recommend you see your Doctor so that he can run some lab tests on your stool and blood.

CamilleRN :

Studies show that the compounds identified with fecal odor were : methyl sulfides methanethiol, dimethyl disulfide, dimethyl trisulfide, Skatole, indole, some which can produce a napthalenelike "mothball" odor. Are your bowels regular or is there a problem with constipation?

Customer:

Could it possibly be that I was on major antibiotics because while I was in the process of recovering from my surgery, I caught a virus that landed me in the hospital for severe dehydration my blood pressure was 85 over 43. I just started taking acidophilus (Ultra flora Plus DF capsules. to replenish the good bacteria. Should I continue this and see what happens because I am not working right now.,

Customer:

I am a gastric bypass patient- I am 4 years out of my surgery and yes constipation has been an issue,. I take a magnesium powder called calm evrey night and it seems to work fine.

Customer:

I am stepping out for 20 minutes but I will be back to continue.

CamilleRN :

I suspect this odor is due to constipation. I would ask that you let your Doctor know to be sure he doesn't want to do any additional lab work to rule out infection. My recommendation for optimal bowel health is a the probiotoc Bio K here is a link to read more about Bio K:

CamilleRN :

http://www.biokplus.com/en/