Vakul Aren
Vakul Aren, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS,DTM&H( Univ of Liverpool),34yrs experience in practice
15267045

I HAD ASK A DOCTOR ABOUT THE BODY SMELL AND THAT I HAVE GOOD

I HAD ASK A DOCTOR ABOUT THE BODY SMELL AND THAT I HAVE GOOD HYGIENE. I AM TIRED OF PEOPLE TELLING ME I STINK AND THAT I MUST HAVE AIDS BECAUSE I DON'T I WAS LET GO FROM MY JOB BECAUSE OF THE ECONOMY. I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO ANYMORE. SHOULD I GO TO A HOMEOPATHIST? IS THERE AN ANSWER TO THIS PROBELM? THE ONLY THING I EVER HAD WAS CANDADIS OF THE ESOPHAGUS COULD THIS BE THE CAUSE OF THE STINK SMELL?
Category: Health
Expert:  Vakul Aren replied 7 years ago.
Dear JACUSTOMER-612n8qj8-,
Hello.Body odour can occur due to medical problems.Hormonal changes during menopause may be responsible.Diabetes and thyroid disorders also contribute to BO.Sweat itself does not smell,but sweat from the apocrine glands has fatty oils and may contain Propionic Acid and Isovaleric Acid.These are broken down by bacteria like Propionibacteria and Staphylococcus epidermis.This may give of a vinegary or a cheesy smell.BO will vary as per the diet,gender,medication and health.Some fungal infections also cause a bad odour.Carcinoid Syndrome and kidney diseases,liver disease and other systemic disease will also cause change in the body odour.You can consult your doctor who can examine you and guide you further.Use of Chlorhexidine soap for bathing,treating Hyperhydrosis or allied conditions will help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I WENT TO MY REGULAR DOCTOR WHO IS JUST A FAMILY DOCTOR AND HE DID NOT HELP ANY. WHAT KIND OF DOCTOR SHOULD I GO TO? CAN A GENETIC DISORDER CAUSE THIS PROBELM?

A Dermatologist would be able to help.A genetic disorder called Trimethylaminuria can cause a fishy smell of the body,sweat and urine.Anothergenetic disorder Phenylketonuria may also cause a strong BO.A good Internist should also be able to help.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you for your help,much appreciate it.
You are welcome!Have a great day!