How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PatriciaRN Your Own Question
PatriciaRN, Nurse
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 534
Experience:  35 years of nursing experience, 2 in ER, 1 at Planned Parenthood clinic
Type Your Health Question Here...
PatriciaRN is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 6-year old daugther accidentally took 4 chewable tablets

Resolved Question:

My 6-year old daugther accidentally took 4 chewable tablets of flintstones children's multivitamin supplement an hour ago. What should I do? Should I bring her to the doctor? What are the side effects?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  PatriciaRN replied 7 years ago.
The biggest problem you have right now is the amount of iron in the vitamin. The Flintstones chewables have about 100% of the daily requirement in one tablet. Iron overdose from vitamins is one of the most common causes of accidental poisoning in children.
She has taken four tablets, so that is four times as much as was needed.
I doubt you will see a big problem immediately but I still feel it would be wise to call your local poison control center.
Here is a link:
One of the first symptoms of iron poisoning is gastrointestinal upset.
There would be nausea and vomiting because iron is caustic to the stomach mucosa.
But iron poisoning has five stages. Here is a link outlining the stages:
Please do contact poison control, though, for very specific advice on what to watch for and what to do.
I hope this is helpful to you. Please do ask a follow up question if you have one.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks, ***** ***** know i dont see iron on the list of vitamins in the bottle of flintstones plus immunity support.
Expert:  PatriciaRN replied 7 years ago.
Then you probably don't have anything to worry about because iron is the most toxic constituent of childrens' vitamins.
The B vitamins are water soluble and it's pretty impossible to overdose on Vitamin C.
If you have any doubts or if she has some symptoms, you can call Poison Control, but if the vitamins have no iron, you are more than likely home free.
Just be sure to keep the bottle where she cannot reach it!
I hope this helps and best of luck!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The vitamins listed on the bottle are vitamin A, C, D, E, Thiamin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin, vitamin B6 & B12, folic acid and sodium. Do you think she is safe? Right now she is playing and I dont see any symptoms.

Expert:  PatriciaRN replied 7 years ago.
I think she is safe, but if I were you I would still call Poison Control since it is free and since they have all the specific information on any type of childrens vitamin overdose.
Four of the vitamins is not a huge amount but you can call them just for peace of mind.
PatriciaRN and other Health Specialists are ready to help you