PatriciaRN
PatriciaRN, Nurse
Experience:  35 years of nursing experience, 2 in ER, 1 at Planned Parenthood clinic
7594761

My 6-year old daugther accidentally took 4 chewable tablets

My 6-year old daugther accidentally took 4 chewable tablets of flintstones children's multivitamin supplement an hour ago. What should I do? Should I bring her to the doctor? What are the side effects?
Thanks
Category: Health
Expert:  PatriciaRN replied 7 years ago.
The biggest problem you have right now is the amount of iron in the vitamin. The Flintstones chewables have about 100% of the daily requirement in one tablet. Iron overdose from vitamins is one of the most common causes of accidental poisoning in children.
She has taken four tablets, so that is four times as much as was needed.
I doubt you will see a big problem immediately but I still feel it would be wise to call your local poison control center.
Here is a link:
http://www.aapcc.org/dnn/default.aspx
One of the first symptoms of iron poisoning is gastrointestinal upset.
There would be nausea and vomiting because iron is caustic to the stomach mucosa.
But iron poisoning has five stages. Here is a link outlining the stages:
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/815213-overview
Please do contact poison control, though, for very specific advice on what to watch for and what to do.
I hope this is helpful to you. Please do ask a follow up question if you have one.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thanks, ***** ***** know i dont see iron on the list of vitamins in the bottle of flintstones plus immunity support.
Then you probably don't have anything to worry about because iron is the most toxic constituent of childrens' vitamins.
The B vitamins are water soluble and it's pretty impossible to overdose on Vitamin C.
If you have any doubts or if she has some symptoms, you can call Poison Control, but if the vitamins have no iron, you are more than likely home free.
Just be sure to keep the bottle where she cannot reach it!
I hope this helps and best of luck!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

The vitamins listed on the bottle are vitamin A, C, D, E, Thiamin (B1), Riboflavin (B2), Niacin, vitamin B6 & B12, folic acid and sodium. Do you think she is safe? Right now she is playing and I dont see any symptoms.

I think she is safe, but if I were you I would still call Poison Control since it is free and since they have all the specific information on any type of childrens vitamin overdose.
Four of the vitamins is not a huge amount but you can call them just for peace of mind.