Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Experience:  Board Certified Physician and US Medical School Graduate
18703594

What is the most likely reservoir for Cryptococcus

What is the most likely reservoir for Cryptococcus neoformans and what is the most important factor in the virulence and pathogenicity?
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
Hello, and I am pleased to help, use of my answers are for educational purposes only.
Cryptococcus neoformans have been found in soil samples from around the world in areas frequented by birds, especially pigeons and chickens - hence the reservoir. This fungus has also been isolated from roosting sites of pigeons and in association with rotting vegetation.
The most important factor in the virulence and pathogenicity is the immunocompromised patient due to one of the following conditions (listed in order of decreasing frequency:
• AIDS
• Prolonged treatment with glucocorticoids
• Organ transplantation
• Malignancy
• Sarcoidosis
I hope this helps, Please Click on ACCEPT as this would be appreciated, and if you have additional questions, please ask, thank you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for your response.

I'm trying to study for an entrance exam. The question in regards ***** ***** of Cryptococcus neoformans gave the following possible answers: pili, hyphae, capsule, or glycoprotein spikes and LPS.

Any suggestions?
Expert:  Dr. Owen replied 7 years ago.
It is the capsule.