How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Arun Phophalia Your Own Question
Dr. Arun Phophalia
Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Category: Health
Satisfied Customers: 35445
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
Type Your Health Question Here...
Dr. Arun Phophalia is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

82-year old man no able to urinate suddenly. Sit bath tried.

Resolved Question:

82-year old man no able to urinate suddenly. Sit bath tried.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.


Is a full bladder visualized or felt by hand in lower abdomen?

Has he a painful sensation of full bladder?

Is there a dribble of urine or no urine at all?

Has he been diagnosed of enlarged prostate or cancer prostate earlier?

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

He feels pain when touched. The bladder is probably full. He doesn't feel the full sensation, just the feel the he needs to go every hour. There is dribble every here and there when he tries.

He is not diagnosed with enlarged prostate and cancer prostate. He has problem with lung capacity mainly.


Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Hello Hannah,

You may do two more things at home to see if these can help him (apart from warm sitz bath);

1) Keeping a heating pad on the bladder region and giving him an Ibuprofen (Motrin), which relaxes the tense abdominal wall.

2) Ask him to try to void with a tap running side by side; sometimes this stimulates the bladder muscles.

If these measures are not helpful; he will need catheterization as this is most likely due to enlarged prostate (benign prostate hyperplasia) and he will have to go to ER for it.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Dr. Arun Phophalia and 2 other Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Dr. Arun:

We already moved him to the bath tub. We will try the Ibuproben and then take him to the hospital.

Thank you.


Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

You are welcome, Hannah.

Best wishes and kindest regards,

Dr. Arun