Dr. Anil
Dr. Anil, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  M.B.B.S.M.D with over 30 years of experience in this medical field.
4713694

Twitching on my thigh for days.

Customer Question

Twitching on my thigh for days.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
Welcome to justanswer.com and thanks for your question .

Do you have any history of anxiety ?Stress ?
Lower back pain ?
Alcohol ?
Are you taking any medicines ?
Is the condition bilateral ?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Just to elaborate my recent discomfort :

1. Started feeling the twitch on my right thigh (from right buttocks to thigh) one week ago

2. Happens always at night while on the bed going to sleep. Less occurences when walking

3. Yes, history of stress

4. Recently, before this twitching episode, felt some pain right lower back (just above buttocks) after washing my fish pond at home. Come to think of it, the twitch started the same night.

5. Used to drink lots of alcohol but stopped a year back.

6. Not really taking regular medication, but recently saw doctor for stomach flu and gas/wind. I actually suspect the tremendous wind in my stomach (constant problem of mine) is causing the twitch. I also use some cream to manage my piles problem (usually after going to toilet, I washed and "push it back in" and really no pain whatsoever)

Hope this is useful.

Thanks

Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
Well as you describe there may be following possibilities in your case-
Lumbar radiculopathy (irritation of L3 or the L4 nerve in lumbo sacral spine which results in lower back pain , twitching in thigh).
Muscle fatigue
Vitamin deficiencies
Over exertion
Dehydration
Electrolyte imbalances ( potassium / magnesium )
It is advised to undergo,Complete blood Count ,Serum electrolytes , X-ray /MRI of lumbosacral spine and a clinical examination by a doctor for further evaluation .
In the meantime you should take OTC motrin.
Take Calcium and vitamin D with a supplement of magnesium and zinc a day. Gatorade, can help as it contain electrolytes.
Take Multivitamin containing Vitamin B complex.
Take proper rest .
Take short breaks of rest while doing work.
Eat low-fat meats and dairy products and include lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains in your diet.
I hope this helps.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Isn't the above too much medication/supplement to take???

Expert:  Dr. Anil replied 7 years ago.
You should take OTC Motrin if the pain in lower back is bothersome .
There are some good multivitamin supplement with Magnesium,Zinc, Vitamin B Complex in a single tablet .
If you take diet rich in calcium like milk, cheese ,dairy products you can avoid calcium supplement .