Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

How does it take before blood clots reach your lungs from a

how long does it take before blood clots reach your lungs from a dvt? my husband had an acheles tendon injury with surgical repair, 1 week later had bruising at the back of his thigh. 3 weeks later had mulrtiple blood clots in his lung.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Greetings.

The blood clot can reach to lung as early as 2-4 hours but usually 48-72 hours are the most crucial duration of clot to reach in lung. After that the chance decreases slightly as clot has a tendency to adhere to the vein wall. Thus free travel to the circulation is prevent due to this adherence (sticking).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

how long does it take the blood clot to form in your thigh(back of the knee) is it hours days weeks in total.

basically how long in total ?is it possible it can take 20 days apox from the start of the forming of a dvt to multiple blood clots in the lungs being diagnosed?

A blood clot can form in hours and usually it would be 24-48 hours. But clot in increase in size later on if the preventive measures or treatment is not started. Twenty days are not common for forming a blood clot and than diagnosed by a lung embolism but that can occur and is not impossible. Though as we discussed, this is quite unusual phenomenon.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
if it was building up in the back of the thigh(stuck to the side of the vein wall), it is possible for it to break off in small bits after a few days and then travel up and cause multiple embolism in the lung.

Yes. This can happen and is a known phenomenon. The adherent clot can get free anytime (in pieces or a single clot). Though with anticoagulation medicines this is uncommon. This is the reason venous filters in the veins need to be employed in certain circumstances.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you im satisfied now.

You are very welcome.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun