Dr. Tharun
Dr. Tharun, Doctor
Experience:  MBBS
8708167

I have a feeling of something being stuck in my throat when

Customer Question

i have a feeling of something being stuck in my throat when i try to eat.i have been to the doctor and he said my esophugus was inflammed a little and i have white pus on my tongue and tonsils.i dont cough my throat doesnt hurt and my mucus is clear.i am on amoxicillin and now he has me taking flonase.this feeling has been going on for 8 or 9 days sometimes it goes away and comes back and then i get scared and im afraid to eat as i fear i will choke.when i take my pills they go down but it acts like its there in my throat for a few minutes.i have no fever
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Tharun replied 7 years ago.

Is there vomiting?

Any fever?

Any breathing trouble?

Any other illness?

Please let me know

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no vomiting no fever no breathing trouble no other illness my head hurt last night when i leaned over

It is usual to have a foreign body sensation in case of throat and upper food passage infection.The motility of the esophagus is little affected due to the infection and the co-ordination is lost.That causes the swallowing difficulty.Also the walls are edematous(thick) due to infection and hence narrows the passage.This also contributes to the symptoms.

As long as you have a good gag reflux, the food rarely enters the air pipe.So the chances of choking are less.Take little quantity at a time and with water.Complete the course of the amoxicillin.Flonase is generally prescribed for asthma.

At present the best option would be wait and watch and continue the antibiotic.If the symptoms persists then upper GI scopy could be done to look for other pathologies like pharyngeal pouch etc.

I hope this relieves your anxiety.

Regards

Dr.Tharun
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
do you think this will pass and just give it a few more days when i go to sleep i have no problem sleeping and do you think that when i take the pills it from the mucus that there still there for a minute do you think this could be life threating i tend to be a worry wart and i always think the worst

If you take the pills with plenty of water, there is no reason why it should be stuck there.Because stuck up pills can cause erosion of the food pipe and cause serious complications within 24 hours.So it has been going for 8-9 days, that means the pills are going fine.Pills even if stuck for a minute will not cause any harm.Just make sure you drink adequate amount of water with it.

I hope this helps you

regards

Dr tharun
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
does this sound like an upper respiratory infection and does this take time to get rid of

Upper respiratory infection also involves the initial part of the food passage.So it can be common infection.Usually URTI subsides with single course of antibiotics.

But if the tonsils becomes chronically infected then the infections can come back and in that case, tonsils may have to be removed at a later date.

I hope this helps you

regards

Dr.Tharun