Anthony Bray, MD
Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor
Experience:  14 years as clinician in the field of Family Practice
13781349

I am a 52 year old female. I have had the following results

I am a 52 year old female. I have had the following results from my Blood Tests
Sed Rate of 91
Ana -negative
RF- 7
C-Reactive Protein- 0.5
Leukocyte Esterase -1+
WBC 6-10
Squamous Epithelial Cells 10-20
Bacteria -moderate
High Sensitive CRP 4.5
I realize some of these test are abnormal especially the Sed Rate. I feel pretty good, but have soreness in my hands, elbows and hip joints. Also experience bloating and the feeling of fullness.
Should I be concerned?
Category: Health
Expert:  Anthony Bray, MD replied 7 years ago.

Hello!

These results show you to have a urinary tract infection. You need to have this treated. Your sed rate is very high. A UTI may cause some elevation of sed rate but I would not expect this much. It should be followed up after the UTI has been treated though.

I hope this information helps. further questions are welcome if you have others. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank You and Best Regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
My Doc said the the Urine test was normal? Did he just miss it?

Hello again,

Well the leukocyte esterace is positive which is indicating the presence of white cells. This is confirmed by the white cell count 6 to 10.

Now a mitigating factor (I know >>legal term ...) would be that you had 10 to 20 squamous epithelials. This means that the sample probably had some vaginal contaminant. This might explain the presence of the bacteria but would not really be a good explanation of the white cells. I think your doctor read the result as normal because of the high epithelials present(again this suggests vaginal contaminant as the most likely source of this). I think that the degree of white cells present does suggest a UTI however. This is how I interpret your urine results.

I hope this helps. Further questions are welcome if you have others. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. How concerned should I be about the high sed rate?

Hello again,

I would be concerned about the sed rate as this high is unusual. I've tended to worry about this high of a sed rate as being potential for a vasculitis as one possibility. This does not sound like you from your symptoms. As I noted the sed rate is elevated by infection. It also seems unusual that the CRP would not be higher if the sed rate were 91. I would place value on repeating the sed rate after the UTI were treated.

Both the CRP and the sed rate are markers of inflammation. There are some factors that may one go up disproportionate to the other but this very high sed rate but only modestly elevated CRP strikes me as being unusual and even question if this might be a spurious result. I wouldn't over react to this but my approach would be to repeat the CRP, sed rate and obtain a CBC in a few weeks. I think this would help greatly in determining the significance or lack there of with the very high sed rate. The sed rate and the CRP both can change rapidly in the setting of an acute infection.

I hope this helps to clarify. Further questions are welcome if you have others. Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you for your time.