Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

My Neutrophils (Absolute) is 0.9 with a reference range of

Customer Question

My Neutrophils (Absolute) is 0.9 with a reference range of 1.8-7.8 x10E3/uL Am I at a serious risk for developing infection? Also, my vitamin D shows deficient at 18.0 with a reference range of 32.0-100. Should I be terribly concerned?
Thank you for taking my question.
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Greetings.

The neutrophils are not the only cells in our body which are responsible for our immune functions and body resistance. The other mechanism in our body to prevent infections are;

1) Other white cells, like lymphocyte.

2) Immunoglobulins which are proteins for immunity.

So if your white blood cell count is normal, there is no serious risk, or worry of infections, especially if you have not been identified by immune deficiency disorders. The cell count like absolute neutrophils counts are very variable and do change in just couple of days or just in a week, so this may improve in few days.

A vitamin D deficiency is also not very concerning if your bone mineralization is normal. Vitamin D has its greatest effect on the maintenance of adequate levels of serum calcium, which affects the bone mineralization. Bone mineralization (detection of osteoporosis or osteopenia) is seen by an investigation called as bone densitometry, which predicts the risk of fracture of bones and strength of the bones. It is good that deficiency of Vitamin D has been detected and you should take Vitamin D supplements. The other good thing is that it corrects very fast. Because the sun does not rise high enough in the sky in the winter months, people who have less sun exposure require more dietary intake of vitamin D. Again, you should not be terribly concerned by the deficiency and you just have to keep taking the supplements of it and calcium and monitor it's level.

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Good evening Dr. Phophalia,

Thank you for your detailed response...just a few lother questions if I may.

My WBC is at 3.5 Read as LOW on report

My RBC is at 3.69 Read as LOW on report

Also, my Immunoglobulin A, Qn Serum levels were extremly High at 1805 with a reference interval mg/dL between 70-400.

My Vitamin B12 read HIGH at 1010 with pg/mL a reference interval of 211-946.

Could this be indicative of some kind of autoimmune disease or cancer such as leukemia?

Respectfully,

Elena

Good evening Elena,

At this point of time your investigations do not indicate cancer or serious disorder. Following can cause these results;

1) Any kind of recent infection; any viral infection can be responsible.

2) Drugs / Medications; if you are on any.

The next step would be a peripheral blood smear examination. If this is normal. just a wait and watch approach with follow levels of above, would be needed, otherwise bone marrow cytology or biopsy may be contemplated.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

Dr. Arun