Dr. Arun Phophalia, Doctor (MD)
Experience:  MBBS, MS (General Surgery), Fellowship in Sports Medicine
5625079

Swollen left lympt node for 9 months approximately 3.5 cm x

Swollen left lympt node for 9 months approximately 3.5 cm x 1.5 cm. ENT Specialist conducted a FNA (3 samples collected).
Report: Smears of neck mass revealed scanty lymphocytes, plasme cells, macrophages and occasional RBC's and necrotic background. NO granulomas or atypical cells seen.
Comments - Neck Mass: Inflammatory exudate
Is this good news or should I be concerned??
Worried.....
Category: Health
Expert:  Dr. Arun Phophalia replied 7 years ago.

Greetings.

This is a good news. This lymph node enlargement is due to the infection at the draining site and rules out cancer. Inflammatory exudate and presence of cells like lymphocytes, macrophages and plasma cells point to lymph node enlargement secondary to infection (termed infective lymphadenitis).

Please feel free for your follow up questions.

Dr. Arun

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I will have the mass removed in about a weeks time as the doctor stated "the source of the inflamation could not be found, hence excision biopsy with frozen section is recommended". This sounds very serious, I believe the doctor suspects more. Again, I do feel this is good news but is excisional going to reveal much more then the FNA (3 samples)?

Thanks you,

You are very welcome.

The sources of inflammation are many times not found and this is not unusual at all. FNAC is considered to have a very high sensitivity and with an excisional biopsy report in all likelihood would remain same. With this fine needle aspiration report; a frozen section biopsy is not required. I would not be worried at all.

It is pleasure and privilege assisting you.

I hope this was helpful to you. If it was, please remember to ACCEPT the answer so I can get compensated for my work. If you have any more questions, please feel free to ask. I am truly privileged to help you, and I want to make sure that you are satisfied with the answer. Good luck!

Dr. Arun