Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

I just received my results for blood tests: HSV I/II lgG -

Customer Question
I just received my results...
I just received my results for blood tests:
HSV I/II lgG - 35.3 and HSV II lgG - Negative
If type II is genital herpes and my results were Negative as stated, does this mean I do NOT have genital herpes? The HSV I/II results were High: 35.3...... Does this mean I have the fever blister type and not the genital type????
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Health
7/1/2010
Health Professional: Dr. Owen, Doctor replied 7 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Have you ever had any HSV lesions, such as blister?
I had a very small eruption on the head of the penis. It was not cultured.
In recent years, we really do not distinguish between genital and oral herpes and you really can not tell from the blood tests that you got. Why, because we see HSV 1 and HSV 2 in BOTH oral and genital places, and we no longer distinguish between the two on clinical basis. So, HSV is HSV, no matter if it is 1 or 2 subtype and we treat this the same way - and you have a blister that burns, is painful, and you have herpes, then you should treat this with Valacyclovir or Acyclovir.
Was the second test a type specific? Since it was HSV 2 lgG? which was negative. Have had no other outbreaks since Nov of 2002. At that time the doctor put me on Valtrex 2 per day for 5 days. Then 3 to 4 weeks later had a second outbreak and then went on therapeutic medication daily. I am wanting to get married, and my lady is scared she will get it as well. We have been having oral sex only. Is she at risk with french kissing and oral sex?
No, the HSV Immunoglobulin tests are NOT specific test - ONLY cultures for HSV are specific - why - because immunoglobulin only tell us that you have had a HSV infection and the IgM portion only tells us that you have recently been exposed - but not WHEN.
Also, I have to tell you, if you were to tell 100% of the public, probably about 80% of the public will have a positive IgG titer to either HSV - so you are not alone - and when you feel you are having an outbreak, YOU TREAT IT - it is really that simply.
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
You did not answer the question if my partner was safe since we had oral sex.
I'm sorry - yes, your partner and you can have intercourse - normal or oral, as long as you do not have lesions or a 'feeling' of getting any lesions (such as burning or pain before the lesions actually appear).
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor