Health

Ask Health Experts and Get Answers to Your Health Question ASAP

Health

My son is 24 and immediatly after ingesting about three

Customer Question
ounces of beer from a...
My son is 24 and immediatly after ingesting about three ounces of beer from a bottle, he began to feel ill. THis happened several hours ago and he's been complaining that his stomach feels like it's on fire. I noticed him sweating right after also. I'm worried because the symptoms haven't gone away.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Health
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/1/2010
Health Professional: Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant replied 7 years ago
Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant

Hello and thank you for your question.

Can you please tell me if he is actually experiencing any abdominal pain and if so, where? Has he had any nausea or vomiting? Is he pasisng gas?

Thanks,

Julia

the burning is the pain he describes. No vomiting but he hasn't eaten since the onset. Yes, he says he has passed gas.

Could you ask him if his burning sensation is located all over his abdomen or is it more concentrated on the upper abdomen or lower?

It was under his ribs at first but says it's now lower. He's wondering if the beer was tampered. I should also tell you that he has been taking Suboxins for Percocet withdraw. I don't know if that is significant.

Thank you for your reply.

It does not sound that the beer was tampered as it would have caused him to have some food poisoning symptoms such as diarrhea or nausea/vomiting. Also, if anyone drinks contaminated beverage or eats contaminated food, it takes hours (sometimes up to 24 hours) before infection sets in.

Drinking beer was coincidental to his abdominal pain, however, beer could have reacted with Suboxone (even though it was only 3 ounces) as it is highly advisable not to drink any alcohol during Suboxone treatment.

Since his pain is quite severe and is disabling, it would be advisable for him to go to a local urgent care center/ER for evaluation (which may include blood work and abdominal x-ray).

Burning sensation in the abdomen is mostly associated with acid reflux, however, possibilities such as stomach ulcers, gallstones, and pancreas inflammation also need to be ruled out.

I hope you find this information helpful. Please feel free to follow-up with any other questions you might have.

If I have answered your question, please click the green "Accept" button. Otherwise your deposit stays with JustAnswer and I do not get credit for my work.

Best wishes and good luck,

Julia

Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant
Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner
Julia Kizhner, Physician Assistant