Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Every few months or so I have sudden suicidal thoughts. I am…

Customer Question
Every few months or so...
Every few months or so I have sudden suicidal thoughts. I am a creative, right-brained person who spends a lot of time in his own head and I analyze myself critically quite a lot. Last fall I was prescribed Celexa and it caused severe depression and lethargy. When I've tried to take stimulant medications for my ADHD, I get anxious and speedy. I just want a clue as to what might be going on. I have just recently started having more suicidal thoughts than normal, and have been staying up later. I think about death often because I'm just a dark person, no harm there. However, it seems like I'm fine for a while, then I go through these dark periods. Maybe I just need to relax, who knows.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/30/2010
Health Professional: Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN) replied 8 years ago
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health.

An evaluation by a psychiatrist would be appropriate. Mood disorders often do begin to present in the late teens and in the 20's. It is possible that you need a mood stabilizer medication rather than a anti depressant or stimulant, and actually your responses to those prior medications in the past is indicative of this. There are several types of Bipolar illness, and it is possible that you have a mild form. (sometimes refered to as 'soft bipolar') More details would be required of course to make that diagnosis, but the fact that you are having periods of suicidal thoughts, are staying up later at night, have had the responses your describe to the stimulants and antidepressants all point to this as a possible diagnosis.

For those that are motivated, and it sound like you are, therapy can be helpful as well as mood stabilizer medication. My recommendation would be to have an evaluation by a Psychiatrist, or a Psychotherapist that is in or affiliated with a Psychiatrist's, so that you could receive evaluation and follow-through with monitoring. (Psychiatrist rarely do psychotherapy these days, but evaluate and follow for medication - therapy is usually done by a Master's level clinician in the Psychiatrist's practice.)

Let me know if you have questions or comments about my answer. Reply if so, to this post so that I may assist you further.