Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I had bumps on my head after going in a pool they didnt

really itch kinda like zits...
i had bumps on my head after going in a pool they didnt really itch kinda like zits on my scalp weird but 2 days later similar bumps appeared on my vagina and they itch and burn what could they be what should i do?
6/29/2010
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer Health for your concern.

One of the first things that comes to mind is that you had a reaction to the chlorine in the pool, since you have mentioned that this started after going in a swimming pool.

Although this is a possibility, it would be more likely if this occurred on a more diverse area of you skin, instead of just on the head and vagina.

Another possibility, that comes to mind, is that both of these areas, head and perineum typically have hair and various types of mites can sometimes cause similar symptoms. Mites can be very small and missed by the untrained eye.

Typically it would be suggested to see your GP for evaluation, or a dermatologist.

You have said 'on my vagina' so it would help to know if the bumps are outside of the vagina or whether it is inside the vagina.

Fell free to supply further details, if you have other symptoms, but most likely this will require that you be evaluated by a health care practitioner in person.

Let me know what concerns or questions you have, if any - please reply to this post so that I may assist you further, if so.
im a student and currently taking summer courses on my campus so getting to a docrot would be difficult i dont have one out here. its on the inner portion but im checking my head now and i noticed the bumps on my head 6 days ago. they never itched i noticed them while washing my hair. they are gone now. the itchy bumps showed up about 3 or 4 days ago mildly and have gotten worse. Can i hope they will resolve in a few more days like the others did?
Are these bumps on the perineal area of your skin outside of the vagina, or inside the vagina?

Have you been sexually active?

If you have not be sexually active, waiting a few days to see if they resolve should be fine.

If you have been sexually active you can receive free treatment at a Planned Parenthood clinic.

Also, most colleges have a clinic where you could go and speak with a Nurse Practitioner.
my school dosnt have a clinic we are a small school in nyc where space for stuff like that is very limited. I am sexually active but we use a condom. the bumps are inside the vagina
You can still get sexually transmitted diseases when you use a condom. A condom only helps prevent pregnancy, and can help prevent STD's, but does not prevent them.

But it is possible that you could be allergic to the condom. If so, consider trying a different type, made of a different material.

If you decide you want to be examined here is a link to Planned Parenthood that will assist you to finding the one closest to you: (They also provide free condoms)

http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-center/findCenter.asp

Also, in nearly every county in the US there are Health Departments where you could also be treated for free, or a small charge based on your financial status. If you need help finding one of these let me know (if no Planned Parent hood is nearby or if you just prefer.)
thanks you just one more thing. i think ill wait a day or so and see if it gets any better then go see one of the options you listed but is there anything otc i could use to treat the symptoms in the mean time?
You could take an allergy pill to see if this improves your symptoms. Benadryl (generic dipenhydramine) is one (take at night since it can make you drowsy) or Zyrtec is another that is now available over the counter and does not typically cause drowsiness, so can be taken at any time.

Benadryl cream is available but I would not put a benadryl cream inside the vagina. It can be used on other areas of the skin when itching is a problem.

The only symptoms you have mentioned is bumps, so I am not recommending a cream for yeast infection, as bumps is not typical of a yeast infection, although itching and often a 'cottage cheese' appearing discharge will indicate yeast (candida albicans) infection, just for your reference.

Don't forget to use a different type of condom next time - or if the itching and bumps occur after using the same type again, it would point that to this possibly being the problem.
Susan Ivy
Susan Ivy, Nurse (RN)
Great thank you so much! :)
Thank you so much for the accept and bonus. I hope you are feeling better soon!