Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My wife was diagnosed with bacterial vaganitis and she had…

Customer Question
My wife was diagnosed with...
My wife was diagnosed with bacterial vaganitis and she had an ultrasouns says she is only 4 weeks when she should be at least 6-7. The doctor gave her medication for it but the paperwork says she shouldnt take it because she is pregnant. Could this being untreated be the reason why she is only 4 weeks or could it be something else. She had a blighted ovum in january and didnt get a period until may 3rd which was her last period. Is to late to start taking the medication they also said there is a cream. we are just confused about her ultrasound as well it only showed a sack but tech said that was normal for 4 weeks
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/29/2010
Health Professional: A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner replied 8 years ago
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. With irregular periods, it is difficult to determine when someone conceived and thus date the pregnancy. While she may have had a period on May 3 there is no guarantee that she ovulated around two weeks later which would be the norm for someone with a 28-day cycle. Since the May 3 period was her first, all bets are off. Metronidazole does come in a gel if that would make you feel safer using it. It is pregnancy category B (along with Tylenol, amoxicillin).