Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Would like to know if Ultra Pure MSM for horses can be taken…

Customer Question
would like to know if...
would like to know if Ultra Pure MSM for horses can be taken by humans at a lower dosage? Is the ingredient the same as for humans?
I know the cost is a considerably less for animals. Thank you.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/29/2010
Health Professional: Anthony Bray, MD, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Anthony Bray, MD

Hello!

There is a cross-overs in the use of several of these nutritional supplements for joint health. The cross-over ingredients include glucosamine/chondroitin sulfate/ and MSM (which is methylsulfonylmethane). I'm sure that the dose used for horses is much higher than that for humans. I would not recommend that you ever take a product intended for horses because the FDA standards of purity and freedom from potential contaminates are probably not at as high of standards for animal products as they are for humans.

I know that we recommend chondroitin sulfate up to 1200mg /day and glucosamine up to 1500 mg a day. I'm not familiar with a particular dose for MSM. MSM is often included in combination products for joints and you can evaluate one of these products to estimate the more common dose used for MSM. I would tend to recommend that you use one of the combination products as these are not that expensive (especially the generic equivalents) While the preparation for horses is probably for the most part similar I would not advise you to try taking this or a fraction of this as there may be significant differences in the preparations of these products.We can't say that if it wouldn't hurt a horse then it won't hurt me!! There is no guarantee that this would necessarily be true.

As an example I take a product Renewin for joint care that includes, chondroitin sulfate, glucosamine, MSM, hyluronic acid all thought to have benefit for the joints. The first two are related to the building blocks of cartilage and is thought to help maintain the integrity and healing of the joint cartilage. The MSM is thought to help a with an anti-inflammatory effect. The hyaluronic acid is thought to help with the joints internal lubrication.

The first two ingredients have had the better evidence to support them but even they have not been without their controversy. There have been positive studies and neutral studies. These products in the end I believe help but the effect is slow and requires patience and continued use to be effective.

I hope this information helps. Further questions are welcome if you should have others. If my answer has been helpful and to your satisfaction then please remember to press the "ACCEPT" button. Thank you and Best regards,

Anthony Bray MD