Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I have a single smallish itchy red spot on my groin. What do…

Customer Question
HI I have a single smallish...
HI
I have a single smallish itchy red spot on my groin. What do you think it is?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/28/2010
Health Professional: Dr. Owen, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Does this, burn, or is it painful?
How long have you had this?
Are you sexually active?
How big is it?
Hi

On and off painful - itchy, not particularly burny

A day or so

Yes

pin prick size

Thanks
Are you in a monagamous relationshiop?
No - I had sex with a third party Friday
This could be a STD - such as Scabies or pubic lice, this would be a bit early for herpes to appear or even HIV, but this could be an infection such as from a hair follicle, this could also be just an irritation. You can try using something such as bacitracin or a hydrocortisone cream, and if it does not get better I would recommend getting an appointment to see your doctor. Also, since you are not in a monogamous relationshiop, I would recommend being tested for HIV in 6 weeks.
Dr. Owen
Dr. Owen, Doctor
Thanks
I do get a lot of ingrowing hairs in my beard. Plus it is currently v hot and sticky here.
If it was STD related would there be several spots?
It could be, but a single small spot, is usually just an infection such as from ingrown hairs.