Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My son is 7 and I just caught him putting on his sister's…

Customer Question
My son is 7 and...
My son is 7 and I just caught him putting on his sister's underwear. Is this normal behavior for his age or do I need to consult a psychiatrist?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/28/2010
Health Professional: Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)

Greetings,

In this age there can be increase curiosity for opposite sex items. But it is better to keep those articles away from him. As he is 7 years of old, try to make him understand that this are female articles, he should not handle them. If he shows any aggressive behaviour then you need to consult a psychiatrist.

Hope this information will help you.
Wish his healthy life.
Any query, please feel free to ask.
It will be my privilege to assist you.
Regards.

I'm just so worried about him. He found a Victoria's Secret book today and tried to look at it and I took it from him and explained that it was for women to look at. He said he understood and then I caught him tonight putting on women's underwear. Is this normal? How do I handle it?

You have to keep those books away from him. All children may not behave as a goody boy. If he finds them , or watch shows in TV, he can be stimulated to know more about them. Some child is more curious. You should carefully keep them away. Out of sight is out of mind. If it becomes excessive, the session with child psychologist will be needed.

Regards,
this curiosity is purely that? So, as of right now I shouldn't be so worried. I should just make sure that all of these female things are put up where he can't get/see them?
You have try first by removing the inciting factors. Then if the behaviour persists, professional help can be taken.
If I remove the items from his view how would I be able to tell if the problem is still occuring?
If his behaviour is critically abnormal, then he will search for those articles. Right now you should not worry and show any over reaction to it.

Hope for the best.
Dr. Su S
Dr. Su S, Doctor (MD)
I thank you so much you helped to calm my worries. I will keep an eye out. Again, thank you.
You are always welcome to JA.
Regards.