Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

Wondering about being circumcised. What the steps are and…

Customer Question
wondering about being circumcised. What...
wondering about being circumcised. What the steps are and what type of outcome to go for. I Have spoken to some doctors.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/27/2010
Health Professional: Pauline, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago
Pauline
Pauline, Doctor (MD)

Circumcision as an adult can be slower to heal than as a child, and may have increased risk of infections. It would usually be a urologist or plastic surgeon that does the surgery.

Healing takes about 3 weeks although intercourse should be avoided for longer period. The head of the penis will be very sensitive for some time after the surgery,

I Have been told this. I was wondering if it is something I should do or not do and if it is okay that my foreskin does not retract on its own? What will be involved with the surgery how its done? I have done some online research and discovered that there are more then one way for it to be done but unfortunately could not come to a conclusion as to what way is best. I have not spoken to a plastic surgeon because I am not sure if my insurance will cover it then or if that was something they did. I am however concerned with the outcome I don't want any big scars or anything like that and how much do they normally remove?

The extra 'loose' part of the skin is removed. Usually leaving a rim around the shaft and the area is stitched. Scarring is not usually a problem but the amount of skin removed may be variable and cosmetic appearance of the penis will be different. Finding photographic examples of post surgical appearance should be helpful in allowing you to understand the final appearance.

it does not make a difference in how much skin is removed? Will it mostly be the inner or outer foreskin I read that the inner foreskin is more sensitive I do not know how true this is. Do you think I should go to a plastic surgeon for a consultation. This is ridiculous but I get embarrassed about it in the doctors so I often forget or dont ask many of the questions I should. I have been putting this off now for about 4 years. One urologist uses a "clamp" to do it in his office and the other does it "freehand" in the operating room. Is one way better or worse do you think anesthesia is necessary or just the local the second gave me the option the first only uses the local.

Some places vary in technique and anaesthetic, so you should be happy with your doctor and his methods before you agree to any treatment. If the purpose is to remove the tissue to prevent infection and improve hygeine then you need a reasonable amount removed.

I would recommend that the tissue is removed under good anaesthesia and in a surgical sitting.

Have a look at this information page to help you make your decision: here

I have seen that page before thank you. I am worried about loosing sensitivity. as a result. I also like that its natural and am afraid its going to look and feel totally (for lack of a better word) wrong. But it is also no good that it's gross and uncomfortable. and its something that is so permeant and can only be done once so I want to know everything. like I said its embarrassing to talk about in person and the web is filled with so much completely conflicting information.
Relist: Incomplete answer.