Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

My friend was diagnosed with aneurism in the renal artery…

Customer Question
My friend was diagnosed with...
My friend was diagnosed with aneurism in the renal artery which goes to his kidney. If unoperated, what is the percentage that the artery will burst? I understand he will die immediately if this happens. 'Stenting' treatment is not applicable to him because he is 44 years old. The Vascular surgeon told him that he prefers to open him and cut the abnormal growth then tie it. I really don't understand this procedure. Is this safe and effective? What is the best treatment for this kind of aneurism?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/25/2010
Health Professional: Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD) replied 8 years ago
Dr. Saha
Dr. Saha, Doctor (MD)
Hello

Sorry for the sufferings of your friend.

In case of aneurysm of renal artery removal of the dilated part and repair is often done.

There are new techniques like stenting, endovascular embolization etc. are also tried.

They need regular supervision as long time results are still awaited.

You can read the website for details of the procedure available.

http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/463015-treatment

I hope this information helps.

I will be happy to assist, if you need any clarification.

Please feel free for any follow up query.

Best wishes.
Thank you for your answer. I will get back to you soon. I tried calling my friend but he is not answering.
OK, you can write, if you see me offline I will reply later.

Thank you.
Im not satisfied with the answer. Please read my question or concerns again.
The study is still going on how much percentage of patient will go to spontaneous rupture if not operated.

Debate is still there whether there should be surgery in case of incidental finding of RAA without any symptom.

Rupture is more common if the dilatation is more than 2 cm, it that case surgery is recommended if there is symptoms.

Besides rupture, there can be other complications like thrombosis, embolism, fixed renal artery hypertension if it is left untreated.

In case of female patient in child bearing age, incidence of rupture is more during pregnancy, so surgery is recommended to prevent morbidity and mortality.

By considering many factors, doctors usually decide, which patients will undergo surgery.

Best wishes.