Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I do not know who I am paternally, because of deaths at

Customer Question
least 3 generations past. I have...
I do not know who I am paternally, because of deaths at least 3 generations past.
I have a target area but do not know how to make an approach by DNA, How?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/24/2010
Health Professional: A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner replied 8 years ago
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. I'm sorry but I don't quite understand what you are saying. Do you mean you don't know who your father, grandfather and great-grandfather are, or that you know who they are but can't trace your ancestry any further back?

Precisely, my father deceased when I was 9 months old and my grandfather deceased

when my father was 4 years old and that's all I know. My objective now is to approach

my 'target people' by DNA. How do I approach them?

Thanks for the additional information. If you know who these target people are you can telephone or write to them and explain your dilemma. Many will be glad to undergo the test, but most people will expect you to pay for it (It's expensive!). Unless you have brothers, uncles, etc. that you know for sure you are related to, there is no way to tell exactly who your father was, etc. The best you could know would be that you shared some DNA and were related.

http://www.familytreedna.com/landing/paternal-maternal-test.aspx This is just very basic, and general. DNA testing through Quest, LabCorp, etc. would be more informative.