Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I just got my test results back and the result states <1 for…

Customer Question
I just got my test...
I just got my test results back and the result states <1 for HIV 1/O/2. What does this mean? I got HIV -1 test and it is negative.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/24/2010
Health Professional: Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD replied 8 years ago
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD
The figure <1 indicates a negative test. It is the level of the serological marker.

A figure above 1 would indicate a positive test.

In your case, you need not worry, the test is negative and thats all that matters.

I hope my answer has helped you. Please click on the green 'accept' button below for accepting this answer. Feedback/Bonus will be appreciated.
Dr. P. Jyoti
Dr. P. Jyoti, Consultant MD

They have on the test results low, normal, high and they had <1 as high.

The result is either low, normal, or high. Mine was <1 and put me in the high catergory.
But they had also informed you that it was negative?
but why would that be high?
That is a variation.

It is of no significance.

The test measures antibodies to HIV and when someone is infected, there is a significant amount of antibodies in his or her body and this is detected.

Even when someone is not infected, there may be antibodies to other viruses and this could register a value, but as long as the value is not more than 1, it means that the antibodies to HIV itself is not there and hence it is negative.
I have nothing to worry about?
thats right. SInce they have informed you that the test is negative, you have nothing at all to worry about.
Thank you very much.
The HIV antibody test should be done at 3 months or 90 days after exposure to be completely sure that there is no infection.

90 days is considered the window period, and if the test done at 90 days is negative, then the person is considered to be negative to HIV. So if 90 days have passed since your exposure, and this is negative, you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

If it is not yet 90 days, it is safest to repeat it at 90 days. But even then, with the first test negative, the chances of a repeat test turning out positive is very low.