Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

For my weight and height (5'7, 181) I require approx 2500…

Customer Question
For my weight and height...
For my weight and height (5'7, 181) I require approx 2500 calories to maintain this weight. However, I rarely eat more than 1800 calories per day, am a waitress and bartender full time, and do bikram (hot) yoga at least three times per week...I have been this way for months..why do I fail to lose weight? I have been tested for thyroid problems and all have come back negative.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/23/2010
Health Professional: Dr.Saurabh Joshi, Doctor replied 8 years ago
Dr.Saurabh Joshi

Sometimes not eating at all too may fail to cause loss of weight.This is because when one does not eat for long time the body tends to store all the calories in fat form as it thinks it may not get food for some time.And when you do eat all the food is converted into fat for storing energy.

So though it may not sound right, you actually need to eat right and take sufficient calories.

A few tips to eat right would be to eat small frequent meals(every two hours)instead of one large meal.See that you eat between your work time and not one big meal.Keep a fruit or cracker with you and chew on it every two hours.Whenever you eat chew carefully,this helps you to feel full immediately.Never eat more then what makes you feel full.Avoid food like fried stuff,pastries and desserts along with normal food.Eat salads and try roasted meat instead of gravy or fried one.

One important thing is excersise.Though you may be working full time,you need to make up time for some excersise even simple walking can do.

All the best.