Health

Ask health experts and get answers to your health question ASAP

I am allergic to cats. I moved in with them back in late…

Customer Question
I am allergic to cats...
I am allergic to cats. I moved in with them back in late April the cats have been gone for about 2 weeks or so. My problem I have this cough when I lay down, randomly in the day and when I workout. Sounds like wheezing. I stop taking the allergy meds to avoid everyday use. I have otc albuterol but, its not working and Im not sure I need it. Sound like I have my own hair ball or water in my lungs. When I spit their is no indication of bacterial or viral infection. What's worse is when I cough I pee no matter how many times I go to the bathroom. Please help what do I have don't have insurance? Should I use the inhaler do I need to see a dr or is this fixable. There are no fever symptoms and now when I get an allergy attack from the cats hair that I have cleaned up my nose runs like crazy and cough is worse.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Health
6/23/2010
Health Professional: A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner replied 8 years ago
A. Schuyler, NP
A. Schuyler, NP, Nurse Practitioner

Welcome to Just Answer and thanks for your question. First of all you should clean the house thoroughly. That means vacuum every square inch of house and furniture with a heavy-duty vacuum equipped with a HEPA filter. Then wash everything that can be washed (walls, windows, floor, furnishings). It is the dander from the cats that you are allergic to, not their hair. If you can recruit someone else for the cleaning, your allergies will bless you. You also need to restart your daily oral allergy medication and continue it for at least a couple weeks after everything has been cleaned. Inhalers are fine for rescue but they don't provide any baseline help.

I get the attacks away from home when I lay down and work out. Most of the day I am fine. The cats are not in my room there is new carpet we have wood floors and those have been cleaned. What do I have going on internally that is the anwer I am seeking and how to treat it without going to the doctor I don't have insurance.